The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Correct tuning with TL-922 linear  (Read 16105 times)
HA5BZR

Ignore
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:52 AM »

Dear Friend!

If I like to make a contact on 14.200kHz in  SSB mode,
How Can I tune my TL-922 linear correctly.
Is it good?
1.My transceiver in CW or RTTY mode,because I need continous drive level
2.But the linear is in CW or SSB mode during the tuning?
In the Manual:Dont OPERATE in CW mode while  the linear is in SSB mode.What does it mean?
  Tuning is not OPERATE,is it?
After tuning my transceiver in SSB and linear is also SSB,is it?

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:45:30 AM »

The CW/SSB switch just changes the high voltage tap on the transformer. This was a requirement for maximum power input back in the earlier eight’s to be less than one KW.

Basically you can tune the amplifier for maximum output with 70 watts drive and then advance the load control to reduce the gird current just past peak output.

OPERATE is just that, STANDBY is the ready mode but the amplifier will not engage when keyed. The mode of excitation doesn’t matter.

Tom, W8JI has a very nice web site that covers amplifier tuning and general tutorials on ham radio technology. It is a very good read.
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »

Although I don't have a TL-922, I have had other linear amplifiers which have the CW/SSB switch with the warning to not operate cw and not tune in the SSB switch position. Tuning is the same as operating in CW. Always tune in the CW switch position. To operate in ssb, tune in the CW position then switch to SSB and operate in ssb only.
N6VOC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:10:05 PM »

Here is what Kenwood sent to me...

Please set the Kenwood S-2000 at 15 watts, put it in FM mode. (FM for tuning)

Select the same band on the TL-922 band switch and TS-2000

Select SSB MODE position on the TL-922.

Select the RF selection on the METER (922)

Press the SEND button on the TS-2000 now using the LOAD and PLATE tune for maximum on the IP Meter.

Now just dip the PLATE by watching the current meter, and when it goes down slightly you are there.

Once you have done the initial tune up you may turn the power up to 100 watts and get on the air.

Be sure to set your Transceiver back to SSB for 20 meter!!!!!

I think the IP meter above is ment to be RF meter. I'm waiting for Kenwood on this.
There is a ton of answers for tuning.
I used the above last night and this morning with good results

Please share what you have found out. I'm still not 100% on this

Hope this helps
N6VOC

KC2RGW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 05:42:01 PM »

I've always understood that you tune up at max drive of the exciter within the range of the amplifier's grid limits.

After tuning you reduce the drive of the exciter for the desired output level if you don't want to run max output.

If you tune up at very low drive power and then turn the drive from your exciter way up from there....at least I think, you lose the linearity of the signal.
N6VOC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »

This is the latest given to me from a ham who has been using the 922a for years..

Set your band switch to what ever band you plan on using. Say 20 Meters. Also leave amp switch in the CW mode. ( Very Important. )

Set your HF rig to either AM, FM, or CW as long as you get a solid key down, but turn the output power to about 25 watts.

Tune the amp to max. output using a watt meter. Plate then Load then back and forth. That gets you in the ball park.

Now raise the HF output to about 75 watts. Do the same tune for max. on watt meter.

Then go for max. out on the HF rig. Again tune for max. on watt meter.

When using a watt meter there is no need to dip the plate. The max.out on a watt meter  actually loads the amp properly for you.

Run the amp in CW v/s SSB mode you will get about 900 watts out. And it will run much cooler.

When you go to the SSB mode on the amp you ( must re-tune )

I only use SSB for a short time and maybe once a month, just to cook the tubes a bit.

I'm carefull not to exceed the 200mA grid current and the 650mA plate current while tuning up. At the moment I have to stop at 80 watts input. At 80 watts the grid current is 200mA. (IG)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: