The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Ameritron ALS-600 questions  (Read 4993 times)
AE6RF

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »

Greetings,

Poking around my ALS-600 before putting it into service, raises two questions:

There are two "remote" jacks in the front panel that are not included in the documentation nor existing photographs of the amplifier.

My guess is that these allow the ALS-600 to be controlled via the same unit as the ALS-500 can be. The internal switchable filter board looks the same as the "upgrade" for the ALS-500.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

I purchased the 10 "export upgrade" (yes, they insisted on a copy of my license). Can somebody tell me how I can visually verify if the upgrade is or isn't installed?  The filter board does not seem to match the  circuit diagrams in the manual.

Thanks & 73 de Donald
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »

I have heard they were going to offer a remote version, and apparently they have.

I don't know who you ordered it from (dealer or direct), but if it was direct, you can be assured it does have 10 meter if you gave them a copy of your license.

You can call them with the serial number, and confirm exactly what it has (if you ordered it direct).

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »

I purchased the 10 "export upgrade" (yes, they insisted on a copy of my license). Can somebody tell me how I can visually verify if the upgrade is or isn't installed? The filter board does not seem to match the circuit diagrams in the manual.

>>>>>>> Behind the meter there would be a small pc board it will have 2 coils and some stuff on it. It is mounted on 2 stand off's above the main PC board and sits rather close to the rear of the meter.

If you do not see that it is not installed
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:50:40 PM »

The two front jacks connect to either an ALS-500RC manual remote control, or to the ARI-500 automatic remote control.  The ARI-500 reads data from most transceivers and automatically changes bands on the amplifier.  I have a review of this "new" ALS-600 on my website at www.ad5x.com in the "Product Review" section.  

As stated above, there is a small pc assembly along side of the main RF filter board close to the meter that is the 10/12 meter filter assembly.  It is a tinned copper pc board assembly with no markings on the board (at least the one on mine has no markings).  There are two air-wound inductors and four silver mica capacitors.  If you send me your email address, I'll be glad to email you a photo.

Phil - AD5X
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »

The 10m "export" board is not installed.

I ordered the unit... LAST October... from HRO. It arrived two weeks ago.

73 de Donald
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:08:52 AM »

Donald one thing it is not a hard job to install that board. you will have more work removing the cover and replacing it then doing the board. Good luck
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:44:03 AM »

HRO confirms that the export unit wasn't installed and hasn't arrived yet.

It should arrive "any day now."

I'll button up the case and get the amp operational and worry the upgrade later.

73 de Donald
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

Congratulations on your new ALS-600. I purchased one of the newly redesigned amps in October from HRO Atlanta. They only had one in stock and I was lucky enough to get it.

I use the Ameritron ARI-500 interface between the two front panel RJ-45 connectors on the amp and an accessory connector on the back of my Icom Pro3 to do auto bandswitching. The interface reads band data from the Icom and switches the amp from band to band as I switch bands on the transceiver. It works very well.

I have been told by knowledgeable sources that Ameritron plans to eventually offer a factory upgrade of older model ALS-600s so they too can do auto bandswitching.

I also installed the 10/12 meter board in my amp. I ordered it and the ARI-500 directly from Ameritron because no dealers had them in stock. It's a lot harder to remove and reinstall the amp's cover than it is to pop the 10/12 meter board inside. It goes right behind the meter and screws to the main board. Easy to do.

The manual does not reflect any of these additions or changes to the amp. So it can be confusing. I had no idea my new amp purchased in October would come with this capability but I'm glad it did. I just wish the manual had reflected it. But it only took me about 2 seconds to figure out what the front-panel connectors were for. But I had to call the factory to learn just what I needed to plug into those connectors for the auto bandswitching. It's a fun little amp to use and very convenient.

73, Dave, N4KZ
KD4NUE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 07:18:07 AM »

AES in Orlando doesn't know if they have the new model or not.  They didn't know there was a newer model.  They asked me to call Ameritron and see if there is a newer model out and what the serial number range is.  

Needless to say, they weren't going to risk an open-box discount to another customer to answer my queston.  And, I am sure they are quite willing to sell the older model at current model pricing.

I am going to purchase in the next week, provided stock is available and the model is current - or stock is available and the older model is discounted to reflect it is a discontinued model.  

What I am trying to avoid this time is the usually unfailable ability I have to buy something that is out of production, discontinued or otherwise not worthy of retail pricing -- at retail pricing.  

I have an email into Ameritron for the Serial Number range when the newer model went into production.

Apparently it was back in September of 2007 (and 8 months later some vendors are not aware)..

Thanks,
David
KD4NUE
KB0USY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:42:17 PM »

Open the amp up to see if the 10 meter coil is inside or not.You can load up a antenna to see if the 10 meter coil is up and running
KD7HB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 10:52:47 AM »

Call or email Ameritron and ask for the new ALS-600 manual, revision 6a. Mine arrived last Monday. Includes all the information on the remote connectors, etc.

Paul - KD7HB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: