The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linear Amplifier Question  (Read 7325 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2003, 06:49:41 PM »

Can someone tell me how to interface a linar amplifier to the Kenwood TS-830S.  Specificaly the Yaesu FT-2100B.

Thanks
KE4ZHN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 11:56:11 AM »

I never owned an 830 Kenwood, but it most likely is like the rest of the Kenwood line in this regard. On the rear of the tranceiver, you should have an acc. jack with most likely some sort of din plug connector. There will be 2 pins that close (short together) on TX. All you need is a simple 2 wire keying line from there to the back of the 2100 amp keying terminals. The 2100 has roughly 12 volts at its keying terminals in the back of the amp.(yes, I know the 2100 has 3 terminals on the back, one is simply an extra grnd.) What you need to do is, make sure that the keying terminals on the back of your rig short the 2 wires from the back of your amp together only on TX. If you dont have the manual for your 830, I suggest you use a VOM to find the 2 keying terminals. You simply check the terminals for the pair that close on TX. Be careful, some of these terminals may have voltage on them and this can destroy your VOM if its on the ohms scale! I would strongly suggest that you first check voltages on the pins to be sure theres no doubt as to which pins are hot. Once you find the 2 that close on TX, simply wire your amp relay wires to these 2 and your in buisness. Some people prefer to use a foot switch to manually key the amp, but I think its much simpler, and makes more sense to use the rigs built in relay to key your amp. If you have the manual for your 830, it should show which terminals in the back switch an amplifier. When in doubt, play it safe and get someone there who is familiar with the gear rather then risk blowing up your rig. If you hook the keying wires from the 2100 to the wrong acc pins, it can and will damage the tranceiver!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: