The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unlawfull to sell IPA's  (Read 1200 times)
W4JWM

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »

I have a 1 watt exciter needing a IPA for a driver to my Alpha.  I understand the issues using nonfiltered amps, etc. The question is, is it leagle to sale a "CB" non-type accepted amp for IPA use ONLY?  I dont see anything to say it isnt... Lets dont get into "it can be used for something elce".  

Just a simple answer.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:36:33 AM »

No, it's not legal regardless of the application because the FCC prohibits their sale, importantion, or marketing in the U.S.  However, the same amps can be legal in other countries and of course homebrew amps are legal here, provided the user actually makes the effort to measure distortion components.

However, recently Tokyo Hi-Power Labs (THL or THP) in Japan has been granted certification for several "low drive" HF amplifiers.  They are legal to import, sell and use here.  This is something quite new, and these products have only been on the market about a year or so.  The "low drive" prohibition in Part 97 has been lifted and replaced by other, new requirements including that any HF amplifier eligible for certification and sale in the U.S. cannot have any power gain between 26 and 28 MHz.  That's not such an easy requirement and filtering alone won't make it happen.

I think the THL amps actually count the applied drive frequency, and if it's below 26 or above 28 MHz, lets the amplifier operate; if not, it won't let the amp even key up (interal logic locks it out).  Slick.

WB2WIK/6
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 07:52:53 AM »

I have the Tokyo Hi Power HBX-100.  I think that is the model.  It covers 80-6 meters and band switches automatically.  I bought it to use with my Yaesu FT-817.  It is legal and 2 watts in gives 100 out.  Never tried it with 1 watt in, but I imagine it would do just fine.  I have used it to drive my Heathkit SB-200 to 600 watts, with proper interface of course.

Dick AD4U
KF7EGG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »

This thread addresses the exact issue I am interested in. An amp that will take low power from an HT or something like the FT-817 and boost it to 50 or 100 watts.

I tried to find the Tokyo Hi Power HBX-100 on google but came up with nothing at all about it. Anyone know of an info source for this?
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 02:32:16 PM »

IPA's are too bitter unless the brewer has hopped it properly.

I prefer a good brown ale myself...

Check out stone brewing for good ales or Deschutes for some good IPA's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: