The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is is possible to fry a car radio in front of you  (Read 4547 times)
LOSTINSDCALIF

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2004, 03:47:15 PM »

Hello,is it possible to set up a ham radio in a car so when the mike is keyed, it would fry the booming car stereo in front of you or the speakers? With no damage to your vehicle. Just curious.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 06:22:18 PM »

no, unfortunatly... perhaps a grenade launcher would work better.
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »

No, but there are several other things you could do, depending on how big you are, how big and mean your dog is, and how well armed and quick on your feet you may be.

Years, and years, ago, K7___ (call is hidden to protect the guilty) had a 120vac DIVE KLAXON hooked to the output of a 120VAC inverter, the 14v input of which was switched via a solenoid and the HORN BUTTON.

I'll leave the affects (effects?) up to you.

KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 12:47:17 PM »

... and the inverter wired DIRECTLY to the battery (fused of course) with large gage wire and a relay operated by the horn button I trust!

Must have been funny as heck...
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 07:10:11 PM »

Especially, if he had a 100 watt PA System
with a speaker horn under the bonnet
with a tape that said :

"Lookouts below.  Clear the bridge,
DIVE, DIVE!"  and then hit the claxon.

hee-hee

73 de Ronnie
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 08:40:52 PM »

Actually, were I dreaming, I'd dream of a silenced .22 that could be used on the tires of said vehicle to keep it in place while I moved on.

Ed
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »

... come to think of it, 'silenced' might not be necesary, as the noise from the offending car would cover the shots to the tires.  
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »

Or servo controlled, sound seeking high speed chopper blades?  paint ball gun?
N9AVY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2004, 11:36:20 AM »

Paint ball gun is not good idea as it splatters when it hits. If you're driving behind, you'd get your car decorated, too.

Now a squirt gun filled with brake fluid ...
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2004, 11:37:01 AM »

Ever hear of a round called the .22 whisper?...most .22 noise is not the powder charge but the supersonic nature of the bullet.  The Whisper is subsonic.
WILLY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 01:46:01 PM »

by KB9WQJ on June 28, 2004

"Ever hear of a round called the .22 whisper?...most .22 noise is not the powder charge but the supersonic nature of the bullet. The Whisper is subsonic. "

This Whisper that you've mentioned, is not special due to its speed.

Typical .22 rimfire ammunition is barely supersonic.  Quite a bit of it - the 'standard' rounds - are not supersonic.  Their typical muzzle velocity is around 1,000 fps.

This is why these rounds are so much easier to supress than more powerful rounds.

The 'premium' and 'hyper' velocity loads do have muzzle  velocities in excess of the speed of sound, but even they VERY quickly drop back below the roughly 1,100 fps speed of sound.

Even when a bullet of that small diameter IS exceeding the speed of sound, the sonic 'boom' is not much more than a sharp hand clap.   Use a .223 or a .243 sometime, and try it.   Get downrange in a safe place - like a deep drainage ditch - and listen for the SNAAAP as it goes by.   You've heard of the 'bees in the trees' ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: