The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6m FM amplification  (Read 1994 times)
KD5YZU

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2004, 02:21:11 PM »

I have an Alinco DR-M06 (1w or 25w output settings) and I would like to beef up my xmit/rcv at 52.52.50 for the least amount of money.  I was all ready to buy a Mirage amp, until I saw it's range was 50-52Mhz.

Any suggestions?  (don't tell me to buy another radio...)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 03:02:50 PM »

The Mirage model A1015 covers 50-54 MHz inclusive.  I've owned several of them (and still do) and they cover the FM section of the band just fine.  If Mirage only rates them to 52 MHz, it's probably a typo.

WB2WIK/6
KD5YZU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 03:19:33 PM »

It seems that the Mirage is looking for 10w out, but I can only select 1 or 25!  What happens if I push 25w into it?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 05:47:49 PM »

With 25W drive, you'll destroy the A1015 input stage.  I wouldn't recommend this.

You could find if there's a power output adjustment (on the "high power" setting) you can turn down to 10W; if not, you could add a 4 dB attenuator to the Mirage's input line.

Or, you could opt for a TE Systems amplifier instead of the Mirage.  TE makes some models for higher drive power on six meters.

WB2WIK/6
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 03:25:58 PM »

Oh for heavens sake, this is such a simple mod. Are todays hams so technically unaware as what to do?

You have two choices, find the driver or final amp and insert a current limiting resistor in the collector or insert same resistor and a 0.01 ufd bypass cap into the emitter. Adjust the resistor value till you obtain the RF power level you desire.

I'll let you calculate the resistance and resistor wattage, after all- ohms/kirchoff's law WAS on the technicians exam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: