The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m Tube amp which tube is better???  (Read 2208 times)
EI2GLB

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »

HI All

I want to get a Amp for 2m and i have 2 models in mind.

Both are 1kw output and made by same company.

First uses a GU74b and as we all know the are a bit on the hard to come by side these days. I have a Acom 1000 and it uses the same Valve and i have a spare one here.

2nd uses 2 x GI7BT's which i know nothing about only i have seen them on Ebay for about $50.

here is a link to the manufacture of the Amps

http://ha1ya.config.hu/hipwrampl.htm

What is my best option there is only 50$ in the difference price wise so Im looking to see which tube will give better service. I will only be using it at 400w.

thanks

Trevor
EI2GLB
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:47:13 PM »

Trevor,

This post has been floating out here for a while. Here in the US, I’ll bet know one knows much about your desired manufacture, their products or reliability. That is not uncommon.

Their web site looks interesting and their specifications look about right. As for tubes I would go with the GU-74B. The tube is getting a bit more scarce but they are available, especially in Europe. There is a lot to be said for having the same tube used in your amplifier itinerary.

The GI7BT's has less dissipation but looks like it is embraced in Europe as well. I guess the question to be asked is ten years from now which tube will be easiest to obtain?

Let us know which one you pick and don’t forget to give us a review of the amplifier when you get it.
EI2GLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »

Thanks for the reply Michael thats a fine Irish name you have there is some of your family from over here in EI.

I am leaning towards the amp with the GI7BT's as the amp with the GU74B's to run at 400w requires about 5w drive and there is too much scope to overdrive it and damage the amp or my masthead preamp which is only rated for 750w.

for the money i save by getting the GI7BT model i can buy 4 of them and have them here if i ever need them.

Thanks
Trevor
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »

Trevor,

Good point. The GI7BT is not that available with out ordering overseas. With the value of the US dollar most hams take the path of least resistance and use tubes that have been target to the US.

On another note I have seen a lot of hams using the GS-35B in amplifiers here in the states. The tube is ugly but I understand for hams that have used the tube it performs quiet well.

The amplifier manufacture has some data and specification on their web page but I did not find photos of the actual inside of the equipment or schematics. If you buy the amplifier please do a through review and post here on E-Ham.

73, Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: