The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Henry 3K-A Mod for 160  (Read 2455 times)
YV5MBX

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2004, 08:26:59 AM »

I would like to know if there is the possibility to modify a Henry 3K-A to be used in 160 mts?

Also experiences abt the amp will be welcomed.

73's de Javier
yv5mbx
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 11:52:56 AM »

You could remove the RF deck from the power supply base, send it to Henry, and have them modify it.  There's a lot involved, especially if you don't want to sacrifice 80, 40, 20, 15 or 10 meters, since the bandswitch mechanism in Henry amps, as you probably know, is a multi-stage, complex design.  A conventional "switch" changes the tuned input networks, but a whole bunch of stuff moves around in the plate compartment to change components when switching bands.

Henry added 160m to some of their amps starting in 1986 or 87, with the 3K Classic Mark III, which later became the 3K Premier.  I have one of the original 12 prototypes of that, and had to twist their arms quite hard to even get them to "try" adding 160m -- they'd never done it before.  The differences between the 80-10m models and the 160-10m models are many, as almost everything above and below the chassis in the RF deck are different.  But I must say, they pulled it off well, and the resulting amplifiers tune very easily on 160m, and run 1500W output with only about 65W drive (for the 3CX1200D7 model 3K Premier), with broad and non-critical tuning.

WB2WIK/6

YV5MBX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 12:36:38 PM »

Thanks a lot for you input and vy clear explanation.

73's de Javier
yv5mbx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: