The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 706MkIIG not keying ALS-600  (Read 2394 times)
KD5WMI

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2004, 10:49:07 AM »

Folks, I'm looking for a black box solution to getting the ICOM 706MkIIG to key an Ameritron ALS-600.  Didn't realize there was a compatibility problem before purchasing.  

I'd appreciate comments, suggestions and direction to commercial black boxes or black box interface designs.

Thank you in advance.

73 de KD5WMI
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 11:10:07 AM »

The 706's will not key ANY amplifier "out of the box" except whatever Icom model(s) are made specifically for them.

If you are not technically inclined, go to the Ameritron website and check with them.  I looked, and there is not a heck of a lot of info without fiddling around.

It looks to me like you need the PNP-13D adaptor cable, shown here:

http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?catid=6

which connects to their ARB-704 relay box, at the bottom of the page.

KD5WMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 08:11:14 PM »

Thanks.  I appreciate this advice.  I had found this already and was unsure if indeed it would accomplish the "black box" keying function I needed.  Sounded more like a protection buffer/interface to protect the 706.  I'm awaiting an email/phone reply from Ameritron and HRO from whom I purchased the ALS-600.

Any other ideas or comments from anyone out there would be appreciated.

KD5WMI
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 11:08:09 PM »

The IC706 isn't very user friendly for interface. It REQUIRES a buffer or you will hose up something in the radio at worse, and not have it key properly at best.

Also please remember the 706 should not be driven into ALC on the display, regardless of what ICOM says. When you start registering ALC, the 706 gets pretty wide on SSB.

It is a really nice mobile rig, I have one myself and like it for my mobile operation, but because it is so compact it has shortfalls. That's just something you live with to keep size down.

73 Tom
V73NS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 01:48:58 PM »

http://home.fuse.net/jg/Modifications/ic706.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: