The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: portable/stealth shortened dipole antenna plans  (Read 10915 times)

« on: May 31, 2001, 08:32:35 PM »

http://www.qsl.net/w3ff/

he operates portable walking using his shortened dipole
and looks like it could work for me too.

73 allen
K5JBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2001, 02:20:25 PM »

About the W3FF dipole:
I built one of these, but changed the wire size thinking it wouldn't matter. It does!!
I went back and changed the wire and did everything EXACTLY as Budd says. It works GREAT. Hooked my 706 to it and a battery in my driveway. The first contact was France on 20m.
Now I travel with it.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2001, 01:02:46 PM »

I operated from many places using Ga 26 or 30 wires in a dipole or as LW (if ground was available). Always use a Daiwa T tuner with the jumper looped through 2 large toroids to eliminate common currents. A slingshot as marketed by HRO is a big help alhough throwing apples/peaches helped as well. It seems that thin wires work almost as good as thick wires and are almost invisible although they are more brittle. TV line as a feeder works great if it is not too long. I had good luck with Daiwa tuner matching anything on any band, but less luck with an MFJ.

My favorite story is operating as VK2ISF from a dorm. About 60 ft of GA 26 wire to a 35 ft tree and water radiator used as ground. Radio was FT-100. Worked WAC  on 20-15m with contacts from 80 (VK9NS) to 15m (12 and 10m were dead). After a week of fierce winds the wire broke. Being out of GA 26 wire, I tied a fishing line to the end of GA 30 wire, attached an apple to the fishing line, and , after a few attempts, managed to put the apple on a branch about 25 ft up. This antenna worked surprizingly well. On 20m, it worked a string of SP on 20m/SSB and generated a small pileup of W on 20m CW. The funny moment was a few days later when someone who must have watched the apple launching effort asked a question: Why did you plant the apple on the tree?

Ignacy, NO9E
no9e@arrl.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: