The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How High Can Antenna go?  (Read 6329 times)

Ignore
« on: May 24, 2003, 12:27:35 PM »

I have recently erected a 11 meter 55ft 5/8 wave antenna.  Prior to instillation I went to the city of Lake Elsinore, CA where I live and enquired about antenna height.  They informed me that 30ft was the maximum height for an antenna.  I found this odd as 30ft is sitting on my roof top.  I know in the past antenna height was regulated by the FCC at 60ft max height.  I own my own home and figured I would take a chance as 30 ft just did not seem reasonable.

My question is....
does not the State of California mandate and supresede any antenna height law or do the different California cities over ride this?.  Special Note: My house is not in an association housing tract.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 11:05:19 PM »

PRB1 provides very limited exemptions for direct broadcast dishes and over-the-air TV antennas.  Beyond that, whatever governmentally imposed restrictions exist are the ruling factors.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:25:24 PM »

PRB1 actually pertains only to amateur radio installations and has nothing to do with OTH or satellite receive (entertainment) dish antennas, nor does it mention CB antennas.

The FCC does not regulate antenna height for amateur stations except by wording regarding antennas over 200 feet high and those installed close to airports, and references FAA regulations in those cases.

"Antenna height" restrictions are very common in most cities, townships and municipalities and are stipulated in local code which similarly regulates building height.  Thirty feet is not at all an unusual limitation -- it probably pertains to building height as well (nothing more than two stories in residential zones).  In order to obtain an exemption from local code, there is usually a Conditional Use Permit available for a fee, and often via a public hearing.

WB2WIK/6
KG4GXI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 01:05:01 PM »

CB has different rules:

For structures, the highest point of your antenna must not be more than 20 feet above the highest point of the building or tree on which it is mounted, or 60 feet above the ground. There are lower height limits if your antenna structure is located within two miles of an airport.

Of course local ordinances will prevail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: