The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vertical in a tree  (Read 3447 times)
ORTHOS1

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2004, 12:27:37 AM »

I have a nice 75 to 80 foot tree in my back yard. I am thinking of placing a hustler 5btv in the tree, about 24' from the top. Would contact with the tree or leaves make a huge difference in the performance? I have the antenna police everywhere in my developement. You know the type...Yuppies with nothing to do. I have a very friendly tree service guy (fellow Ham) and he is willing to climb, if I buy the stuff. I will run under 600 watts and will place some very stealth radials in the tree and hide the feed line well.

73's KI4DJN
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 02:11:39 PM »

"Would contact with the tree or leaves make a huge difference in the performance?"

Yup

Dennis / KG4RUL
ORTHOS1

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 08:17:07 PM »

Thats what I was afraid of. I will go back to my stealth Spiro AS-2 in the attic at <100 watts, My father in-law, WB4BWV(he uses the HF equipment at this point), is my elmer and he said it would not work in the tree. Just a thought! Now what about some aluminum extruded gutters?
AK2A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 10:54:50 PM »

Try a tuned vertical dipole fed with 300 ohm window line. Feed it with a balanced tuner. Mine is 40 feet long and is in some high hedges. When it rains, I have to adjust the tuner a little. Works great.
W8CAR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 02:37:24 AM »

I have several wire verticals in the branches of my trees. Why not try a piece of insulated wire-make it resonant on say 80 (67 feet) and then use a tuner at the base to use the other bands. I believe SGC is one company that makes a tuner that would work in this application You could use a tuner in the shack but the losses might be very high on other bands. There also have been some great articles over the yrs about small traps and you could build a very small profile wire trapped vertical that would be darn near invisible. Even though my antennas use regular #14 size wire they tend to blend in with the foliage. Luckily I have great neighbors and I'm the local yuppie with nothing to do but eat drink and build antennas! Retirement is grand! Good luck and hope you figure out a good stealth antenna.
Dan
W8CAR
W3FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 05:55:43 PM »

I LIVE IN A FOREST OF 110' TREES.  FOR HF THERE DOSEN'T SEEM TO BE ANY PROBLEM,HOWEVER,ON VHF AND UHF THERE IS ATTENUATION ESPECIALLY WHEN THE TREES ARE IN FOLIAGE.  HAMS ARE EXPERIMENTERS. DO IT - HAVE FUN
                                73, HARRY - W3FM
ORTHOS1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 01:42:57 AM »

I am going to try it any way. I am going to put up a hustler vertical inside of a PVC pipe painted with cammo non-metallic paint with caps at both ends. I will have my local tree climber put a pulley in the tree (marine grade from radio-works) and raise and lower the antenna that way. I think the radials will be just fine in the tree limbs. If I do this right the antenna will be 60' in the air in a maple and look like part of the tree? I got the idea from a fellow that made a flag pole with a hustler vertical inside. Also the encouragement from the fellows on this site, Thanks!

Stu KI4DJN and Bob Wb4bwv (elmer)
WA3JPG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2004, 10:14:20 PM »

I had an antenna restricted area and used a small spin casting set to cast some thin monofilament line "over" the entire tree during a Sunday morning, early,  when no one was around.  Then, I took some number 26 magnet (enameled) wire and pulled it over the tree, around the "outside" of the branches and brought it to the bottom near the trunk, about 8 feet from the ground.  It was about 140 feet, it was a vertical loop, I coiled some coax to form a balun and ran coax along the trunk to the ground, went over to my window, used a tuner and worked 80 - 10 with very good results.  It really was a fine antenna and no one ever noticed it.  I ran under 100 watts most all the time.

Very good luck!

Clark
WA3JPG
KE6VG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 11:56:51 PM »

I would probably try the auto tuner or twinlead and tuner in the shack before I put a hustler in the tree. You will have a heck of a time tuning each radial to get it to play without a tuner anyway. Try a vertical dipole in the tree. Run the twinlead out at a right angle if you can. It will run circles around the Hustler and not be seen. It is much cheaper also. You would be able to use it on several bands and actually have gain on the higher frequencies.
WA9JOQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2004, 05:00:37 PM »

Stu...How did your tree mounted vertical work out?

Bob (WA9JOQ)
AD5TH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 01:59:31 PM »

Spoke with "Joe" at New-Tronics / Hustler this morning about my 4B-TV installation with nearby trees. She assured me there is no performance degradation with nearby trees. I asked what sdid she mean by "nearby". She responded that many of their customers place the 4,5,6B-TV verticals inside of tress (for stealth)and have no trouble at all and the antennas perform as well as if in "the open". We have 40 acres and I could easily ground mount this 4B-TV in the open buit it would be a 200 ft run of coax. Since Joe enlightened me it will be a 30 ft run and will be next to 100' pines.

73 / DX  - Charlie
KE7DFP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 12:06:53 PM »

If you have forty acres why are you trying to squeeze a little verical into a tree?  Put up a pole in the top of that tree with a pullet and use that for the center of a dipole. Run long, wire legs of each side. Feed that with balanced line into a balanced tunner and you'll have double the signal that trap band verical will ever give you WITH the 60 radials you should be using with it. (Ignore what the saleman "Joe" tells you.    
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: