The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Fake TV antenna" HAM vertical???  (Read 14273 times)
ONAIR

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2007, 06:05:33 PM »

My friend lives in a community where the HOA does not allow any antennas except for TV reception.  Is it possible that he could put up some kind of HAM vertical, possibly inside of a PVC pipe disguised to look like a mast, and fashion some kind of plastic look alike TV antenna on the top?  Just  looking for opinions on this possibility.
KI4PEQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:57:34 PM »

Check out the MFJ Enterprises web site.

There is a model MFJ-1775 mini-dipole that works from 40 meters to 2 meters. A standard TV rotator can handle it. And it does look SOMEWHAT like a television antenna. Very stealthy.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:02:05 AM »

I have an MFJ-1775 and it works very well (see review on my website at www.ad5x.com).  However, it doesn't really look like a TV antenna.  Why not put a real TV antenna on a mast as tall as you can go?  Electrically connect everything on the TV antenna together and to the mast. Then put an autotuner at the base of the mast, loading the mast and TV antenna.  And/or you can guy the mast with two dipoles at right angles to each other.

Phil - AD5X
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:26:38 AM »

I would go with Phil's idea. A large LPD TV antenna would make a great top hat for a vertical.

73, de Lindy

N00B

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:34:56 AM »

The DXengineering website has an article about putting a vertical in a flagpole:

http://dxengineering.com/pdf/flagpole_antenna.pdf
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:25:29 AM »

You might check this out.  It's prefabricated (easy to build kit) all aluminum and actually can be used as a TV antenna if you wish, although the intent is that it's a very stealthy 20-17-15-12-10 meter vertical that just looks like a TV antenna.  I've worked several stations using it and they seem very pleased.

http://force12inc.com/sigmasv5gt5info-002.htm

WB2WIK/6
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »

Not to rain on too many parades; look closely at the restrictions they may specifically prohibit such stealth antennas.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 12:54:56 PM »

Yes please make sure you review any local restrictions which may prohibit stealth antenna installations.

It might end up that there are no such restictions placed on the installation of regular 80 meter HF beam antennas and the restrictions may only apply to stealth antenna's that look like regular TV antennas.

Good point. Glad you brought that up.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 02:28:16 PM »

"Not to rain on too many parades; look closely at the restrictions they may specifically prohibit such stealth antennas."

It's only against policy if you get caught.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KE6VG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »

In the latest Harbor Freight flyer that came in the mail they had a 16' Aluminum flag pole with an American flag for $31.99.

This is a great "cheap" stealth antenna that is resonant at 20 meters. With a loading coil and some radials it would work pretty good on 30-40 also. I'm sure if you put a tuner at the bottom you could use it for all bands.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 01:45:16 PM »

I run a Slinky in my attic and a 1/2 wave 40 Inv Vee under my house eaves. Do it like that and it should be no problem. Most HOAs now prohibit a large "flagpole" on the property ( ask Mr. Trump about that one ) so using the eaves of your house may be a better alternative for you.
Frank
W5XE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »

Many years ago, Bill Orr W6SAI, wrote an antenna
book (one of many) entitled Wire Antennas.  In that
book he described a tv type antenna in use as a hf radio antenna.  
The radiating part was the feedline which
also terminated at the TV antenna.  The antenna was
usable as a tv antenna should any of the antenna
POlice wanted to check its functionality.  The
antenna was also usable on 6 and 2 meters as well.
MIght be a bit suspicious if one is using a satellite
dish in addition to the tv antenna.  However, is
areas of heavy precipitation where the rain or snow
cause disruption in the reception, having a regular
tv antenna is not unusual.  Good luck to your friend
and I am sure he will get something that will work.
KI4NGN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 08:02:08 AM »

HOA restrictions cannot supercede federal law (FCC regs), which state that everyone is allowed to have an external TV antenna as long as it is mounted less than 12 feet above your home.

If it just looks like a TV antenna but it is actually not, then the only way you can be forced to take it down is if they insist on you proving that you can use it for TV reception.

Most HOA organizations are not going to be that sophisticated about radio and TV to have that kind of suspicion.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »

"HOA restrictions cannot supercede federal law (FCC regs), which state that everyone is allowed to have an external TV antenna as long as it is mounted less than 12 feet above your home.

If it just looks like a TV antenna but it is actually not, then the only way you can be forced to take it down is if they insist on you proving that you can use it for TV reception.

Most HOA organizations are not going to be that sophisticated about radio and TV to have that kind of suspicion."

Don't bet on it! Many of the HOA curmudgeons are just looking for reasons to stomp on any individuality and at the first sign of any interference to anything will assume that it is the evil non-conformist that is the culprit. To quote a few words from an old song that I know longer know the name of, "little boxes, little boxes made of ticky-tacky, and they all looked just the same."

KF7CG
KI4NGN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 02:14:01 AM »

I am in an antenna restricted community, and I have gotten away with a couple of wire antennas for over a year now,

If they ever ask me to take it down, I will let them know that the biggest outdoor TV antenna that I can find will be going up on a twelve foot mast on my roof, and that there is nothing that they can do about it. It will be a real antenna providing me with TV reception during times when there is a power outage and cable is lost (I have a generator).

One of my neighbors is on the board of our HOA. He is a friend and knows my intent, and knows that they cannot prevent me from doing this.

If it ever comes down to a confrontation, I will do this, and then I'll use the guy wires for a couple of HF antennas. This might even work out better than my current wire!

Since it will be a real antenna, there is nothing they could do about it no matter what they may think.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: