The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best end fed antenna  (Read 2823 times)
2E0KPX

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:28:05 AM »

I'm currently restricted to a 50 foot garden and would like to know of a good end fed wire antenna tried and tested for most bands.

I used to use the G5RV half size at a different location which worked quite well on all bands but a little heavy in the centre for the 300ohm lader.

Is there any quality end fed wire antenna out there thats man enough for the job!!

Regards Danny
M3RLQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:17:29 AM »

Almost any end-fed antenna of a reasonable length can be a good all-band antenna. They key is in the matching and the grounding system. Put up approx 1/2 wavelength of wire (for the lowest band) in a vertical or an inverted-L fashion. Put in a few good ground radials. Mount the tuner on the ground, connected directly to the radials and the wire antenna.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
2E0KPX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:03:45 AM »

Thanks for your reply.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 06:22:40 PM »

Just throw up some coaxial bazooka vertical dipoles for each band!  They are inexpensive, and do the job nicely.
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 03:35:41 AM »

If you would rather not construct, these are alternatives, I have, at one time or other, used them.
1) Par end-fed....but only single band at QRO level.
2) Bell-Imel Group "no counterpoise" antenna. Sold on e-bay (US). Fifty-feet long, well constructed, 10 through 40 meters, has a PL-259 to connect directly to required antenna tuner. So you will have some RF inside. Rated to 100 watts. Reasonable price. Cheap for you considering pound/dollar exchange rate.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 04:04:37 PM »

I'll say what I've said many times. There is no such thing as a "no counterpoise" end fed antenna. If you don't provide a "real" counterpoise then it will use the coax shield, radio/tuner case, and everything conductive connected to it as the counterpoise. Return currents from the antenna have to flow somewhere.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: