The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF amp and IC-740 Radio  (Read 1774 times)
KC8BNR

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2004, 10:27:50 AM »

Hello everyone reading this post,
I have a quick question, i purchased a used IC-706 original version upon upgrading to General, since my upgrade a purchased a Icom IC-740 with plans to put the 706 mobile (which probbalby will not happen).
I am extremely happy with the 740's performace and want to keep as main rig.
My question is should i sell the 706 which is not being used and purchase a HF amp like the AL-811H ?
I have been happy with my signal reports using the 740, should i keep the 706 because of the age of the 740 ?
When connecting a amp like the AL-811H, is there anything i need to be aware of like interface ?
Don't have enough money to purchase amp and keep both radios.
Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated and i understand it is mostly preferance.
Thanks for helping a newer HF person out.
Thanks and 73's
Brian
KC8BNR
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 05:34:25 PM »

Hi Brian,

Buy a dictionary!

But to get on to more serious issues, the IC-740's a nice rig (I had two of them in the early 1980s when they were new) and will outperform the IC-706 in many ways, provided you can keep it running.  However, it does indeed require a keying interface for the AL-811H or almost any amplifier, as its key line output can only source a few milliamps.  I used my 740's with Henry amps mostly, back in the early 80's, and I had to use an outboard keying interface that I homebrewed.  Since then, I see Ameritron, Harbach and others are selling essentially the same thing for about $30-$40, and that's not a bad deal.

Good luck with the 740!

Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: