The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swan Mark II  (Read 1899 times)
W7KKK

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2004, 07:36:36 AM »

Can anyone date this amp and tell me anything about it?
I found one for sale. They ahve not set a price. As near as I can tell it is worth $400 or more. I have been told it is a dual 3-500z platform. It belonged to an SK and nobody seems to know much about it.
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:36:04 AM »

Any amplifier that is not in a situation that you can test before buying is suspect.

These amplifiers had marginal voltage rating on the capacitor banks, partly because most line voltage is up a little from when they were made.

The caps probably need replacing, anyway.

The tubes may be bad, who knows.

There is no "tuned input" in this unit, which makes it a pain to use with modern, solid state transceivers.

There is VERY LITTLE cabinet overhead space, which means that if the tubes are bad, and if you run into a cheap/free pair of 4-400's or 3-400's they will not fit.

In my opinion, these were never a very good design, not the least of which is that the meter mountings (panel openings) are right in the high power rf compartment, which means, "no shielding".

Considering that you can get a perfectly working SB-220/221 for 4-500 US, I'd look elsewhere.

W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 06:10:41 PM »

TNX for the reply. I found this posted twice, I guessed I hit the button one too many times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: