The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplifiers and tuners  (Read 1734 times)
W4GRY

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2004, 05:42:57 PM »

I've seen some really dumb questions here, so I feel comfortable in asking one of my own. I have an FT-1000 with an internal automatic tuner and want to run a Ten-Tec Centurion amplifier with it on occasion. My question is: "would it be advisable to also use an external tuner between the amp and the antenna?" Will the automatic internal tuner match through the amp or do I deactivate it and tune solely with the external tuner? The older I get the more things like this "cloud" my brain. Thanks.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 05:14:09 AM »

<< My question is: "would it be advisable to also use an external tuner between the amp and the antenna?" >>

Depends. If you are using an antenna that is resonate where you want to work, it might not be necessary. If the antenna isn't resonate, yes you will need dome form of antenna matcher between the amp and the antenna.

<<Will the automatic internal tuner match through the amp>>

No. All it will do is correct any mismatch between the output of the rig and the input of the amp. In your case, this isn't necessary.

<< or do I deactivate it and tune solely with the external tuner?>>

Yes.
W4GRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 06:56:15 AM »

Thanks Lonnie. You confirmed my conviction. My antennas are all commercially made multibands with very very low SWR's, so I guess I'm OK. Just thought IF the external tuner was extranious to my needs, I might get rid of it......but better hold on to it. Drop by my webcam site sometimes....3 live cameras of shack activity when I'm here. I turn them off if I'm sitting here in my underwear. HA!
htp://w4grysstv/no-ip.com:8080
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:46:48 AM »

If you haven't already invested in the external tuner, I'd give things a try without it first.

Contrary to what many people think, tube amps are quite tolerant of mismatches and may handle 3:1 and 4:1 or more with no problem.

Have a good week,

lon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: