The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AL-811 Meter not showing Grid Current  (Read 3192 times)
ZS6ARF

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2004, 01:50:28 PM »

My AL-811 amp is working 100% but the Grid Current meter is not. Meter checks out ok and circuitry looks fine. Any suggestions on how to check this out.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »

I'm hoping a  AL-811 uses '811's'... It seems to me that when the 811's were biased right and driven correctly, the grid never went positive enough to draw grid current.  Been some time since I was shipates with a SB-200...but I 'think' I'm right...  If your audio is clean, and your outpout is right... just smile..
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 04:15:01 PM »

N7DM, with due respect, and I AM NOT trying to be mean,here, you probably should go find some info on the "typical" amateur amplifier, because,

all cathode driven, "grounded grid" triode connected amplifiers are designed to draw grid current when properly operated.

The only 811 circuits I know of that by design, do not draw grid current, would be a class A (speech) amplifier, or a push-pull circuit.

Certainly, an old technology, grid driven 811 oscillator or class C stage, would also be driven into the grid current range.
ZS6ARF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 06:18:16 PM »

Ok, thanks for the responses, according to the Amp manual there must be grid current shown. My bet is there is a faulty diode or something. I just thought someone might know of a previous problem. I do not think we need to debate if grid current flows, I am sure there will always be some grid current at full peak tuning. the amp is a AMERITRON.
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 07:54:43 PM »

In answer to your question, it just about HAS to be somewhere in the grid circuit metering, is the grid metering switched in or out, or is the grid meter in permanently?

Are you sure the meter just isn't bad?
VE2AIE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 09:55:37 PM »

Hello to all,

I do have the same problem some time.

Suddenly the grid current meter stop showing...Why??? It's look like there is a cold solder, i have to double check that. When i bang...hihi on the amp than the meter is back!

Salute!
VE2AIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 01:28:46 AM »

Hello to all,

Yes, it was a solder problem. I did solder the  meter wire and everything is back to normal...Till the nes<xt time...
WB9TEV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 06:20:47 PM »

Just a note to thank you guys.. I picked up a used 811H. got it here hooked it all up and seemed to work fine just no grid meter reading. So I did a search found this thread.. pulled cover off and yes sir.. one of the bottom wires to eter had a questionable solder joint. i assume the shipment made it jiggle to a non-contact position. it looked like it was ok but in close exam only on one side. long story short.. oh wait too late for that .. anyway hit it with a touch more of solder and works PEFECT!!!

Shows how impotant these forums history can be huh??
thanks again.. Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: