The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to APRS, how to get started?  (Read 2261 times)
DESI

Ignore
« on: March 28, 2003, 06:05:27 PM »

I am new to APRS. I have two computers--one running Windows XP and the other running Linux (RedHat 7.3). Both of them have soundcards and these systems work as they're supposed to.

I also have a Yaesu VX-5R and a RadioShack HTX-200. I use them on the local 2M repeaters with a homebrew J-Pole. Both these radios work fine.

Now, coming to the point of this post: How can I use APRS with my computers (either or both) and with my  radios to send short text-only, email messages on the internet through digipeaters? I would deeply appreciate it if you could help me with:

1) How to connect the computer/s and radio/s?
2) What software is needed?
3) Where to get the software?

Any other information I am missing? Please feel free to add.

Since I am not interested in reporting my position (and also because the desktop computers are always at QTH), I don't want to use a GPS device.

I would like to use as much as I can of what I currently have. (read: I can't afford to spend any more than what is absolutely necessary)

If there are any websites (or webpages) that provide answers to my questions, please just point to me to them.

If you're experienced in using APRS (preferably, with computers/soundcards/HTs, I mean without TNCs/GPS), I would like to hear your experiences. I have so much to learn!

Thanks in advance.

-desi
W0IPL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 07:27:05 PM »

APRS starter information:
http://www.w0ipl.com/ECom/aprs.htm

C Ya
 Pat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: