The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a larger power supply?  (Read 685 times)
KE5LDO

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2007, 04:05:15 PM »

I have an Astron 35M power supply.  I wish to run an Icom 718 and a Yaesu 897D with tuner. Do I need a more powerful supply if I only transmit on one or the other, and not both at the same time. I am a new ham, so please excuse my ignorance. Both will not exceed 100 watts. Thanks in advance.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

that will work just fine,.  You have a steady draw of an amp or two with both on recieve at the same time.  most rigs draw 20 to 22 amps when in transmit at 100 watts. if you are using cw, or ssb your duty cycle is even lower.

If you run 2 together, be sure to have a decent switch ot seperate antennas ( ground the non used side is best switch) or at least put them on different bands when transmitting so you don't over drive the input on the other one.  other than that, have fun  here is a pic of what happens as you get more stuff

http://hometown.aol.com/catfishtwo/N6AJR.html
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 06:20:40 PM »

Is everything working now?

Do you plan to transmit on two radios simultaneously?

If you answered "No" to the first question and "Yes" to the second, then start shopping.

I can't imagine that happening.

I run lots of stuff off of my RS-35M.  It just keeps doing it without complaining.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 09:02:13 PM »

You should be fine--even with both rigs on.  The total draw for both rigs--one transmitting and one receiving--should be about twenty five amps at most, and that is well within the rule of thumb useage level for power supplies.  This rule of thumb is not to draw more than about 75 to 80 per cent of a supplys rated power output--that way it isn't overworked and prone to failure.

Go to it and have fun!  73!
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 07:32:03 AM »

You should be OK with the ES-35.  As long as you don't try to transmit on both radios (at least, not at anywhere near full power!) at the same time, you should be fine.  Even while transmitting, unless you are operating 100 Watts on either radio in a 100% duty cycle mode (RTTY, FM) you shouldn't be taxing the supply; on SSB, you would only draw full current on voice peaks, so the average draw would be less than the maximum rating for the RS-35.
    If you DID mistakenly transmit with both radios at the same time, the supply would go into current limit mode, and neither radio would work.  You'd probably have to shut both off to get the supply to get back to normal.  (I'm not quite sure how it would work; I've never pushed my RS-35 that far...)
    If you also run a number of accessories from the supply, however you may be getting near the limit of the supply when you transmit, so another RS-35 supply might not be a bad idea.  (Or a smaller supply for accessories:  I use a 4 Amp Astron supply for things like a digital clock, TNC, tuner and SWR bridge pilot lights, etc.) Better get that letter in to Santa Claus early...
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 11:45:11 AM »

Thanks to all the guys that assisted me. 73's
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: