The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH-D7 APRS "Path" HELP!  (Read 4609 times)
AB5N

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »

Wow..this is just like when the internet came out and there were no central docs as to how to operate it. My question: I have a D7 Kenwood HT and although I can get my home station to show up on the map using my TS-2000 and the laptop... With the D7 HT, there is no "To" field.
Our setup is that the local HOTSPR hilltop digi relays it to an I-gate at WA5LUY's house. With the TS-2000 setup, I have to use (with UISS software)
TO: UPS25N
VIA: HOTSPR,WIDE2

That gets me on the map. I also get an ack back from HOTSPR when I send my data.

With the D7, there is no "TO" field..only "Path" using commas.
I tried UPS25N,HOTSPR,WIDE2   no go
Tried HOTSPR,WIDE2   no go.
Tried UPS25N alone..no go.
Tried Relay, Wide2  no go.
Nobody seems to really know how this all works around here. Golly,how to people who are mobile set a universal path and get picked up by any i-gate? Sorry for newbie numb-skull-ness. This is just like figuring out gopher or FTP in 1990. All the sudden I'll get a combo that works and I'll never know why it works.

Thanks guys!  Please email me directly if you have the patience! rjnagy@gmail.com

Bob-AB5N
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 10:23:26 AM »

Bob,

Set the path: APRS,WIDE2-2 or Wide3-3.
Hope to see you on. I might even get to IGATE you.

73, de Lindy
N9SX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »

Yeah, APRS has no TO parameter. It is a broadcast protocol.

The PATH parameter is used to define or limit how many times the message is repeated by various types of APRS repeaters.

More details are available, but that is the similified big picture.

N9SX
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:04 PM »

Hi Eric,

Just tracked you on APRS...

73, de Lindy
N9SX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:01:42 PM »

Lindy,

My most recent track is probably from the Seattle Marathon back in November. I was providing support and they track our position by APRS.

Bob,

There is a ton of infomation out there on APRS, but I was really frustrated by the lack of a good basic overview anywhere. You sort of have to put the pieces together yourself, so don't apologize for asking questions.

APRS is a broadcast protocol, so every receiver in range gets your APRS packet. Depending on your PATH variable, it is also repeated by many of those stations. The PATH limits the number of repeats so your packet does not bounce around the network forever.

And I meant to say "simplified" above.

Have fun,
Eric
N9SX

AB5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »

Thanks guys... I saw you ww5aa..Lindy...one of the first stations I saw on the map. I tried Relay,Wide2  today, and that worked. I'll be at Hot Springs Gallery Walk tonight with the D7 on my belt APRS'ing.
It is frustrating as there isn't a central inclusive resource on this. It's not magic though- so I'll figure it out. Just glad there is so much "meat" to APRS...

I-Gate...messages..WX data...Mic-e... So much to learn.

73's for now-

Bob
KC0ZMX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 02:12:52 PM »

The recommended path for mobiles is: WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2

This page is pretty verbose, but it will tell you want you need to know:

http://web.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: