The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: collins 30l1 good question???  (Read 1672 times)
N3JBH

Ignore
« on: February 05, 2005, 03:42:48 PM »

hey guys and gal's i was responding to a statment and i the pondered the question so here it goes and it pertains to the 30l1 collins amp.

i would love to hear why i couldnt  add some 572-b tubes and add 6 meters to the amp. now i know they say that tube only goes to 30 mhz but i know beter i here alot of sb-200 amps on 6 meters so i wonder hmmmm?

ow i understand the tube change wouldnt make me anymore power but simply give me some longetivty  is about all well plus the will yes beleave it or not the will goto  6 meters. so folks fire away

funny part is there is knothing listed any place about this ever being done i think i will post the question. jeff n3jbh
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 06:36:27 AM »

While I have seen 30L1s converted to 572Bs, it is not a good idea. Aside from the extra filament current stressing the transformer, the added capacitance of the 572Bs can be problematic especially on the higher bands.

This extra plate capacitance is also why it will not work on 6 meters. With two 572Bs it's tough enough.

Lastly, the 30L1 is already suspect when it comes to adequate cooling, much less with the 572Bs. Installing a bigger fan is out of the question.

If you want more power, I suggest you buy an amp that is designed for the purpose.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »

I already posted this in another forum, but I'll repeat it here, just in case:

JBH, "who" are those operators using SB-200's on six meters?  I've been on the band since 1966 and have made tens of thousands of contacts on six all over the world in nearly 40 years, and have never worked anybody using an SB-200 on six meters.

Can you provide the callsign or callsigns of those doing it?  I'd like to contact them.

Thanks

Steve WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: