The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a tube  (Read 2831 times)
KA1DBE

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2001, 10:08:55 AM »

Am looking for a 6U5 tube for a restoration project.  Does anyone out there have one or know of a good source to purchase one?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2001, 05:51:22 PM »

hi,

www.rfparts.com  lists the tube you want $ 30.00

this is a very good place to buy from.

73 clay

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2001, 09:30:35 PM »

Also Google search on

Ocean state electronics
Antique Electronic Supply in Arizona

They both carry tubes.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2001, 04:04:48 AM »

For the tube you're seeking, my two very favorite places are:

Electron Tube Enterprises

Thomas J. Bruckner

Key features:
Electron Tube Enterprises has more stock than anybody I know of.  The guy is as honest as they get.  A simple business, he does not take credit cards on the web; you have to phone him.  Use google to find him (maybe www.electrontubeenterprises.com)  If I'm looking for a rare tube, he's more likely to have it than anybody else.  Except that he does not tend to have transmitting tubes.

Thomas J. Brucker: the only place I know of that seriously tests their tubes.

Transmitting tubes, I get from:

D and C electronics - for cheap Chinese tubes like 572B

Richardson Electronics - RELL.COM - high prices, but solid supplier.  They stand by the guarantees.  They're in a bit of a tiff because they and Eimac have a virtual monopoly on some tube types

RFParts - This is sort of my "last ditch" source.  Even though I've had no troubles with parts from him (some are poorly described like his power combiners which aren't even 50 ohm devices, but he doesn't say that), I intrinsically don't trust a guy who claims to have "new parts" but doesn't get them direct from the mfr and doesn't say how he does get them.  I suspect often you're getting NOS but tested stuff.

For one-off power amps, I have gotten tubes from W4TH, but his "story" makes him seem even less likely to be a reliable supplier than RF Parts.  For a one-shot ham application, I suppose it's OK, but I'd never consider going into production with any Russian tube as long as there's no "serious" tube distributor out there.  Or, frankly, as long as the only Russian tubes that are available still appear to be the NOS mil surplus stuff.  I'll believe Svetlana is "here to stay" when 4CX1600Bs can be had in quantity for prices comparable to twice the mil equivalent to the 4CX800.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: