The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu "twins"  (Read 6195 times)
KC8RKC

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2001, 07:25:58 PM »

After many years of SWL'ing on my BC-348 and listening to hams I finally got my amateur license earlier this year.

Right now I'm a Tech learning Morse Code to upgrade.

I like repairing/collecting antique radios especially the "boatanchors". With this said, I have the opportunity to purchase a Yaesu FL-101 xmtr and FR-101 rcvr along with the mod scope and autopatch unit. This rig is in excellent condition and the asking price is $450.

Is this a fair price and can I do some good DX with this unit?

Any opinions to a new ham would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave Augustine KC8RKC  
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2001, 05:16:23 PM »

Welcome to the hobby!

The FL/FR101 are really seriously old.  Not as old as your BC348 (!), but old.  Neither the scope nor the phone patch (it's not an autopatch) will help make any contacts, although they are interesting accessories.

Because the scope is a reasonably high-demand item for some reason, this setup probably is worth $450, assuming everything works properly.  Without the scope, I'd say more like $250-$300.  Due to the age of this equipment, it does not cover the WARC bands and it lacks many of the standard features found in today's equipment.

For overall enjoyment of the HF bands, I'd probably recommend forgoing this station and picking up a used but more modern HF transceiver -- one that does not require constant transmitter tuning-up as the FL101 will.  Solid-state rigs with more of the modern features abound in the $450 price range.  Nobody needs the scope, and the phone patch isn't worth much.

As for "working DX," that is all up to the antennas and the operator.  The station equipment has very little to do with DX-worthiness.  The antennas do all the work, the equipment merely facilitates using the antennas.  And the station operator does the rest of the work!  An experienced DX'er can work DX with practically nothing for equipment, whereas a newcomer might take some time to make even that first contact.  But learning how to do it is definitely part of the overall ham radio experience, and it's very much a fun part!

Good luck & have fun!

Steve WB2WIK/6

JAMES_BENEDICT_EX_N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2001, 12:07:55 PM »

These classics to a collector are ok money wise. For a first HF radio & if you are not into collecting, I would pass. For that money, consider the Corsair. Hot receiver and service still available. This radio does not have an auto antenna tuner or general receive for shortwave listening. If you want SWL capacity, try an ICOM IC-728 (not the IC-725) about $350-400, or better yet an IC-718 about $450 used and is a current manufactured radio with optional DSP module available. You could quickly outgrow the Yaesu twins, believe me, if you are not a collector.
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2001, 07:38:56 PM »

This is an fair  price for this package, (if they are in  very good condition.) The scope can be handy for ensuring you are not overdriving or clipping. It is also possible to configure the scope for monitoring of receive signals, and watching the voice pattern on SSB. The scope can also let you see that your CW keying is performing well.  For equipment of this era the scope can be very handy.  Most hams will tell you a phone patch is useless these days, but remember the Seattle earthquake, it came in handy for many when needed. Tell a Maritime mobile from a sale boat who needs to talk with a family member that it is not needed anymore in ham radio, and I think you will get an arguement from him or her. Yes it will not perform like todays newer radios, but on the other hand I find the audio to be better and receive background noise to be much quieter on some of these old classic radios. Your post said you enjoyed the old radios, that is what is most important, what you like to do and what makes you happy. I say go for it and enjoy the old rigs. The scopes bring a good price and you can sell it pretty quick. I just sold one 4 months ago for 225.00  I think that would make the transmitter and receiver a great bargain. Don't see where you could go wrong with this deal.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2001, 06:44:33 PM »

As a new ham, I wouldn't reccommend it for a first radio, unless you are already famillar with the tune up procedures for the old tube finals.  You will have to tune you transmitter on lower power, then tune the antenna to the frequency you are using, then retune the radio at a higher power setting every time you change frequencies more than just a little bit.  

You will also not have the sensitivity or power of the newer rigs , and you will have to deal with tuning the reciever and the transmitter every time you change frequencies.  This can be a pain after a while and frustrating to a new ham. For the same money you chould be able to pick up a reasonably decent newer rig and save your self a lot of hassel.

I also reccommend folks don't start with QRP rigs for the same reasons. You need to make some contacts and have a bit of confidence built up as a ham to you don't get discouraged right off the bat and chuck the whole mess out the window dure to frustration.

The price does seem in the ball park for the set up, if that is the answer you were looking for.  Have fun  tom.. N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: