The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of transformer for Ameritron AL-80A  (Read 7525 times)
VE3IOS

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2005, 05:23:03 PM »

I want to replace the transformer in my Ameritron AL-80A. Any idea what it is? I am not sure what I am looking for.
Thanks
Jeff
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:26:35 PM »

MFJ sells parts for all of their products including the 80A. If you're trying to replace it to get more power out, save your money. With just one 3-500Z, even with the electronic bias circuitry, you're not going to gain enough to make the replacement worth while.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0g.com

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »

Actually, I may just have one.   I had a house fire, and "lots" of my parts are now disorganized.  However, a local (Spokane) ham had built a single x-400/500 tube amplifier, and I was told at the time that the transformer was an AL-8- series transformer.  Get ahold of me, and I'll look around for it.
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 09:28:43 PM »

Why do you want to replace it?  If it's bad, contact Ameritron.  If you want more power, putting in a higher voltage transformer won't do it - you'll have to replace a whole lot more than just the transformer.

AM
VE3IOS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005, 03:14:19 AM »

Not looking for more power. Just want to get rid of this damn hum
Thanks guys
Jeff
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »

A humming transformer has loose windings or loose laminations, and is warrantable.  I know of no ham manufacturer that would not replace that under warranty.  Call Ameritron.

AM
VE3IOS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 11:01:28 AM »

Your right but not on a 10 year old amp. Anyway i found the information i needed. here it is for those that may be interested.
primary-110vac 50/60HZ
buck boost winding-16v/8v
secondary-690v/1047vac; 22v@1.5Adc;  5.2vac@15Aac

Jeff
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 02:28:32 PM »

The Hum your hearing might not be the transformer but the way it's mounted. I replaced the original (smoked/shorted) transformer in my Heathkit SB-1000 (which is a kit version of the AL-80A) with an AL-80B transformer. Ameritron will supply a mounting kit to make it fit when you tell them what your doing. The adaptor mounts made a loud Hum when bolted directly to the enclosure. I used some nylon washers to isolate the adaptor mounts and everything was quiet again. If you must replace the original AL-80A transformer the AL-80B transformer and install kit is the most economical replacement. You can get replacement transformers from other suppliers but there cost is much higher. BTY, there is a typo in the schematics of the SB-1000 and AL-80A manuals. The high voltage output is 1,100 volts AC and not 700 volts AC as shown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: