The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electronic TR switching of AL811 with FT1K Mk V f  (Read 1685 times)
KB5NJD

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »

My AL811 is connected directly to my ft1000 mk V field and keys using the mechanical relay built into the rig.  I would prefer to use the rig's electronic switching option instead to avoid the clank of the rig's mechnical relay.  Can I *safely* do this without an interface between amp and rig?  My concern is that spikes could damage the transistor switching.  Has anyone ever safely done this?  Is it advisable?

thanks in advance.

John KB5NJD
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 05:41:21 AM »

No! MFJ sells an amp interface (Ameritron ARB-704) for $50 complete with the proper cabling. It is all solid state, so the only "click" you'll hear is from the amp once you disable the one in the rig.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

N8FKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 05:08:24 AM »

I have a Mark V Field also, and until I recently purchased a Commander HF amp, I was using this rig as an exciter for the 811H. Previous post is correct...buy the ARB704, and check for the correct cable to buy for the Yaesu...I believe it is the PNP 8D or something. Look. Ameritron makes a specific cable, pre-wired for the DIN "data" port in the back of the rig, for the FT-1000 series of Yaesu radios. This arrangement works like a charm. No clicks, no clanks, no switching delay or hot switching at all. Read the instructions. No external 12vDC needed on the 704. Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: