The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snake Antenna  (Read 9919 times)
ZR1PJA

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:18:47 PM »

A few years ago I found a web site that gave a detailed description of how to build a snake antenna using 75ohm co-axial cable for transmitting. I can't find this info anymore.
Please can someone help with the info on building this antenna.
Many thanks
Paul
Brgds
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

There are several designs for the "Snake Antenna" I have a design that works well. My email address is good on QRZ. Send an email and I'll forward a diagram.

73 de Lindy
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »

If by snake antenna, you mean a wavelength of coax laid out in a straight line on the ground, with the far end shorted or even terminated...

If this works, it can only be by virtue of failure of the shield to be effective.

Sounds like you need to find coax that doesn't behave like good coax should.

Doesn't that sound some warnings?

Owen
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »

Owen,

The snake antenna functions because the shield is not grounded and the load intentionally induces common mode on the shield.

In summary it is really nothing but a longwire laid on the ground. It just happens that the longwire is made from coax, which also doubles as a way to get the antenna into the shack.

Because the design intentionally induces common mode on the shield the shield can be 100% effective and the snake will still be a snake.

Look at a drawing and you willl quickly see how it REALLY works, not why people sometimes claim it works.

73 Tom
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »

Tom,

The diagrams that I have seen show the 'snake' terminated at the far end in a s/c or resistor. The preamp is connected between inner conductor and outer conductor, so if fed with differential mode voltage only. (Common mode current flows to the preamp ground terminal.)

In that case, with effective shield, there would be no differential signal.

Do you have a reference for the design you are discussing?

Owen
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »

Here is a pic that claims configuration A to be W1FB's original Snake Antenna: http://www.isp.ca/ve3nh/snake2.jpg

If the short at the far end is indeed a short between inner and outer conductor and not a small loop, and the preamp responds to the voltage between inner conductor and outer conductor (differential voltage), then:

The only way in which differential current will be excited within the coax is by through-braid leakage. No coax is perfect, no coax has zero through-braid leakage.

It seems to me that the antenna described as above depends on through-braid leakage, and for that reason, its performance would be very dependant on coax quality, poor coax would give more sensitivity than good coax.

The other interesting aspect of the antenna as described is at that preamp is located at a voltage minimum, obviously another 'feature'!

Mind you, leaky transmission line antennas are not new.

Owen
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »

That diagram is incorrect.

One variation of the Snake antenna by DeMaw didn't work at all. Doug told me himself he never actually used that antenna, but he got the idea from a friend. Turned out that friend's antenna actually grounded the center conductor at the far end and floated the shield. Without that ground the antenna was dead. A simple omission.

If you look at the later ON4UN Handbook you will see a "working snake", not the non-working model on the VE3's website. ON4UN also explains why the originally published snake does not work.

The ON4UN Handbook shows a refined correct model of the Snake. It has a 1:4 transformer at the far end and a ground connection.

73 Tom
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:55:24 PM »

if an antenna that cheap and that simple worked, would we not see  every one using them, instead of being something even google can not find??
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 05:45:56 AM »

Well, I don't know the "terminology" but I would not recommend any antenna that lies on the ground as a "first choice" antenna!  There is a reason people install them in the air!
But, as a "compromise antenna", it does not sound too expensive not to try!  You can always re-use the coax after the project.
73s.

-Mike.
ZR1PJA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:08 AM »

Thanks for all the responses. Lindy I have emailed you yesterday as per you email address and have not got a reply so wondering if you got my address. FYI it is pjallen@mweb.co.za

Many thanks
Paul
K4JSR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 09:47:41 AM »

Speaking of Snake Antennas---
Didja hear about the viper that was so destitute that he couldn't afford a pit to hiss in?

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:02:42 AM »

Paul, the "snake" is really ment to be a lower-noise receiving antenna.  Kinda like a poor man's Beverage.

I've tried it a few times at several locations around the world (40/80 meters) and like just about any antenna, sometimes it works-sometimes it doesn't.

73, Jim/k7unz
K3ANG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 08:41:04 PM »

N6AJR,
Queried google's exact word search on 'snake antenna.'
Lots of links, but this one looked most interesting.

http://www.navymars.org/south/newsletter14.pdf

go to the bottom of page 13, continues to 14.
From 2004.
I don't belong to Navy Mars, never used the antenna, YMMV, usual caveats.

de K3ANG

W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2008, 01:20:16 PM »

Don't believe everything you read.  I used a coaxial snake antenna back in the 70's and it was fine for 160-meter low-noise reception...but you may need a pre-amp for this antenna for it to work to your liking.  Mine was 100 feet long and terminated into a 50-ohm resistor.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »

If you connect a Snake Antenna like on the VE3 website and like DeMaw originally published, it will be stone cold dead even with the best preamp in the world.

Unless the shield is open circuited someplace it will not receive squat. It doesn't take an Albert Einstein to figure out why.

If you connect a Snake like the ON4UN Handbook shows, it will work very well.

73 Tom
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: