The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snake Antenna  (Read 9788 times)
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »

I forgot to say that the shield was left floating at the radio end on my snake antenna I used back in the 70's.
NV2A

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »

Some of the replies I've read would indicate that some folks don't realize this antenna is used primarily on 160 and frequently with an outboard amp such as a polomar.  They are used for receive only.  It worked just fine for me years ago.

I was skeptical when I first heard about.  They had me going at the DX club meeting.  I thought they were tired of the snipe hunting and left handed screwdriver kind of gags.  Turns out they were right!
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 09:21:29 AM »

So, for property poor individuals like myself, what would be a good "snake" design length and construction tid bits. I too have seen lots of "info" but what is the real poop on this antenna and how to lay one out?

I have a FLAG antenna that does hear some stuff but it is really weak.  Could be the Sloper on my tower behind the FLAG (for a tie off support) may be affecting it's performance. I have no way to tell.  I  have a remote coax switch at the base of the tower and take the Sloper out of the line to the radio, but it is still attached to teh tower.  Could this be an issue?

Perhaps someone can share a bit of info to all these questions/concerns....
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: