The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SBE SB1-LA Linear info wanted  (Read 10295 times)
AE7AE

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2003, 08:32:21 AM »

I have been offered an SB1-LA in good working order. I don't remember this model...other than it uses 6 sweep tubes and covers 80-15m.  Any comments good or bad, especially from users or former users would be appreciated.  Maybe even a ballpark dollar value?
Thanks, Eddie VK4AN (ex K5COU-K6CAA-KH6GLU)

retired but not expired... glass is usually half FULL, not because I didn't fill it... Just can't keep it full!
AE7AE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 08:34:31 AM »

testing

retired but not expired... glass is usually half FULL, not because I didn't fill it... Just can't keep it full!
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2003, 03:18:36 PM »

Well, just a comment about "sweep tube" linears.  In their day they were popular, and sweep tubes were readily available from the local "drug" store, that also had the local tube tester.
    The price for these "sweep tubes" is now almost an arm and a leg in most cases, (and makes the rise in the price of gasoline over the past 20 years look like petty change!) and are difficult to find in many places.  And even if well cared for, tubes DO wear out and eventually need to be replaced.
    I would not pay a premium price for the amp; especially if it can NOT be demonstrated or proven to work properly with the rated output.  (I know you believe it's in fine working order, but unless it's owned by someone you know AND trust, you have to be careful.)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 01:40:54 PM »

As I recall, the SB1-LA was the accessory amp for the SBE model SB-33 transceiver (like the SB2-LA which followed it to match the SB-34 transceiver) and used six 6JE6 tubes, which today are very expensive and difficult to find.  The cost of replacement tubes easily exceeds the value of the amplifier, and I think that's confirmed by the eBay average selling price for the SB1-LA, which is $155.  I think the tubes now cost about $30 each, so six of them would cost $180.  Wow.

It was made locally to me in southern California by Sideband Engineers (SBE), who I believe were up in Goleta (near Santa Barbara, CA), back in the early 1960's.  I knew a few hams who worked there, way back then...

It probably has "collector" value, if it's in good physical condition, but other than that, I cannot imagine it has much operating value.  But it certainly was very small, and very cute!

WB2WIK/6
K4CLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:08:02 AM »

I fail to understand those who constantly say sweep tubes are to expensive and unavailable. The 3-500 is a 200.00 tube and as far as this old amp. they are still running old Heath amps that were put together in the garage by people with radiator solder!
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 07:08:40 AM »

You need to understand what a sweep tube is before you compare it to a purpose-built transmitting tube like a 3-500.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »

Agreed... you can't compare a 3-500Z to sweep tubes. They are much more rugged and efficient, and still being manufactured (and offered with three year warranties.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: