The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement of 6146B tubes with 6293 tubes in a TS  (Read 3801 times)
KA1MUY

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2003, 03:16:50 PM »

I would like someone to give me some advice on replacing the stock 6146B tubes in the Kenwood TS-830 with RCA 6293's.  They appear to be more rugged and capable of extremely long life.
Any thoughts?
Scott
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2003, 05:31:44 PM »

They might work, although the "word" back in the 1980's when the TS-520/820/830 family were being manufactured was that this substitution wasn't a great idea unless one had a source for free tubes.

Might be tricky to neutralize with the 6293's, since their interelectrode capacitances are different.  Interestingly, I cannot imagine why I'd look for "longer lasting" tubes in the TS-830S, which treats the tubes very well.  I had the original set of Japanese S2001's in my TS-830S when I sold it after twelve years of heavy use, nearly daily, including dozens of contests -- and they still worked perfectly, delivering 100W output just like when they were new.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: