The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expanded Receive and Transmit Mods-TS830  (Read 1987 times)
KA1MUY

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2003, 12:07:56 PM »

I would be curious to know if anyone has experience with the modifications done by Electronic Service Pros?
They can open open up the receive and transmit audio, and modify the IF Shift/VBT circuits for use during transmit.
Thanks
Scott C.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 02:57:02 PM »

$350 in modifications to a rig that's barely worth $350 to begin with doesn't seem like a reasonable investment; however, having heard the "results" of at least the "TX Audio Mod" on the air at least twice, I can verify that I'd pay anything to take that modification back *out* of my rig, had it been installed.

This mod allows for modulation well below the engineered 300 Hz lower frequency rolloff limit, and causes undesirably poor opposite sideband suppression as a result.  Dreadful, potentially unlawful if the FCC decides to ever fully interpret the bandwidth credo already in Part 97.  Waste of bandwidth and energy to have modulation at 40 Hz.  That's not "natural" or "high fidelity," it's extremely unnatural and based on a recent survey here on eHam, the majority dislike the sound.

WB2WIK/6
KD7KOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2003, 04:33:13 PM »

I have a TS-830. A simple unamplified D-104 is all you need to sound very good.
This 'hi fi' stuff is messing up good rigs and are broadbanded...
If you want to sound like "AM" get a DX-100 or Viking..: )
My humble opinion only...
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2003, 09:51:23 PM »

I get so tired of poor, really poor audio quality on the ham bands I just cannot believe it.

I have a few people I know who have EXCELLENT sounding audio, with very minor adjustments--no studio board needed.

On the other hand, every day, I hear  overprocessed, overdone audio, from every kind of rig/mike combination imaginable.

If I can hear you suck in your breath between phrases, you are using too much mike gain and or too much processing.   If I can hear you spit every time you say PPPPP or TTTTT or SSSS, ditto.

Having been licensed with the old driftly stuff in the middle '60s, the new gear is capable of PERFECTLY GOOD, ACCEPTABLE audio quality, and Kenwoods are "known" for decent audio--RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: