The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Higher watt radios  (Read 682 times)
DZRTRAM

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »

I live in an area that has line of sight for many miles.  I need a higher watt radio, like the Kenwood 271, Icom 8000, Yaesus, and/or any other radio that exceeds 50 watts, etc.  I've been told that they are pretty much equal, but that the extra wattage really does help. Can anyone tell me if any of these radios is "better", or really puts out more watts than the others?  This is very important to me. Thank you for any help you can be.
Ross
KI6HSI
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »

Ross the Icom IC-8000 is a 75 watt radio it probally about the top for power out in that type of radio. I suggest a large Amp if you really need more wattage.

But i would think you might have a radio then that can really put out the signal but will you hear those coming back to you?

My advice to you is simply start with a Nice long Yagi antenna if you plan to use this as a base type setup.
if you are planning going mobile i still consider a gain antenna of some sorts.

A good yagi with 15 Db Gain can give you around 1450 watt.s Effective radiated power with a 75 watt radio
Unless you are a DBi kind of person then we are talking 2370 watt's of ERP.

Either way that is a lot more than using a 1/4 wave antenna and a amp. Unless you planning to run a 1500 watt amp. Plus the yagi antenna will hear far better so
you see where i am going here?Huh

It is all about the antenna.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 05:35:34 PM »

RE: Higher watt radios       Reply
>by N3JBH on August 14, 2008    Mail this to a friend!
A good yagi with 15 Db Gain can give you around 1450 watt.s Effective radiated power with a 75 watt radio<

::Nah.  A 15 dB(d) gain antenna connected to a 75W rig yields over 2250W e.r.p., not 1450.  Bad math-?

Of course, a 15dB(d) gain antenna for 2m is very large, like a 30' long (5 wavelength) Yagi.  Not so many people are using these on FM.

The difference between a 50W transmitter and a 75W transmitter is only 1.76 dB, which is a pretty small change.  I doubt you'd know the difference 90% of the time.

If you want to realize a "noticeable" change in output power from a 50W rig, you'd need to go to about 200W output power, which is a 6 dB (typ. 1 "S" unit) change.  You'd notice that.  You likely would not notice a smaller change, almost nobody does.

I can run 1 kW output power on 2m FM, but almost never do...just makes the coax hot and doesn't net many more contacts on simplex because I can't hear them nearly as well as they can hear me!  So, it's usually kind of pointless, unless I have to make an "announcement" of some sort and want to serve a wide area with that -- without necessarily hearing replies.

WB2WIK/6

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

If you are planning on using any of those rigs at home, look at what power supply you'd have to pick to use the higher wattage rig.

Bob
DZRTRAM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:42:53 PM »

Yes, I agree about the Yagi.  I guess I should have asked for a recommendation on that as well as explaining that we are only using simplex as here in California the repeaters not only "may" go down, they DO go down all the time.  So, the radio power is very much needed.  We all have to have good power.  The reviews I've read, and the answers I've had from ARRL confirm that the extra power doesn't make a difference.  I'd like to hear more about antennas, please.
Ross
DZRTRAM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:50:28 PM »

Thank you for that lesson in antennas.  I'm not very experienced with antennas.  If you or anyone has a recommendation for a good 2m/440 Yagi I would sure appreciate hearing about it.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 06:19:38 AM »

I would try a 4-5 element beam (nothing larger) pointed directly toward San Diego.  The beamwidth would be broad enough to cover the whole area without a rotor.
And I like the FT2800M (2 meters only) unit... all heat sink and no fan.  With any of these plan on a decent power supply.  You can use it with an HF rig later.
73s.

-Mike.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 06:52:54 AM »

>WB2WIK/6 ::Nah. A 15 dB(d) gain antenna connected to a 75W rig yields over 2250W e.r.p., not 1450. Bad math-? <

Sorry Steve must have been another of my old age brain farts but hey i think i got the point across even if i was going extreme. Sorry folks for yet another goof...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: