The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Microphones  (Read 2733 times)
WY3W

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2003, 01:08:06 AM »

I have an old Astatic D-10 Mic and stand (not the amplified version) that was my old workhorse DX weapon with my tube radios.  I just bought a brand spanking new IC-756ProII  (It weighs less than the tuning knob on my old radios) and was wondering if anyone has used a D-10 with one of these new fangled radios.  Any hints would be appreciated.

Ian  WY3W
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2003, 12:13:35 AM »

Reprinted from eham forum search "104" do the same and you chase down threads for yourself

RE: D-104 Mic for Icom  Reply  
by W8MW on September 6, 2002  Mail this to a friend!  
The D-104 ought to yield wonderful results on your 756PRO. I've made sort of a hobby out of collecting and refurbing D-104's and never cease to be amazed at how great they sound when they are properly matched to a given rig's mic input circuit.

The naked high Z mic element won't drive the PRO (it will drive a lot of other rigs). I have experimented with Hi to Lo Z transformers and the results were poor. You'll need to have the version with the mic preamp in the base or use some other kind of amplified buffer stage.

There's been lots of discussion on D-104's here. Suggest you use Search Elmers to bring up plenty of info. I'd be happy to email with you too.

73, Mike W8MW

RE: D-104 Mic for Icom  Reply  
by AB8IG on September 7, 2002  Mail this to a friend!  
Hi,
I've got an IC-746 and a D104 with the amplifier in the stand. The back of the cover on the bottom of the mike stand has a wiring diagram. With that schematic and the '756Pro manual you should be able to wire up a plug for the rig. The D104 has a high Z crystal element (as stated above) and I'm not sure how well it will work on an Icom without the D104's internal amp.

I've listened to my audio on 2m FM and the mike sounds 'tinny', but it works great on HF SSB. I switch mikes depending on what mode I'm using.

Have fun,
'73...Jim  
WY3W

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 01:26:43 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  My 10D is sort of elongated rather than the lollipop D104, but uses the same stand.  The stand was available in amplified and non-amplified versions, if memory serves me, and of course I have the non-amplified version.  The mic is Hi-Z, as you say.  Will try a buffer/amplifier when the rig gets here.  Hate to spend the bread on a new mic when I have this gem (I also like the looks better than the new breed).

73.  Ian
KI4BCL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 01:50:17 PM »

If I remember correctly - those D104's could be had with the crystal head ( which was/is the most often seen) and - a dynamic head. Those dynamic heads had a bassier sound too.  

Seems like with the amplfied front in found in alot of rigs - a person could do well with the UG-8 (non-amplified) stand.

Enjoy!
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 06:38:35 PM »

Folks, he has a 10D  10 D   NOT a D104.

Same company, entirely different mic.

I've never used older mics on new equipment,
so no help from here.  But I do know what they
are  :-)

73 de Ronnie
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 01:17:09 PM »

The bullet-shaped Astatic 10DA does plug into the same stand as the D104, but, being a dynamic type, it has a bit more roll off in the high frequencies and not as sharp as sound as the crystal types.  I believe it was designed specifically for sideband work, while the D104 probably goes back to the AM days.  It does concentrate the sound in the audio passband used for sideband, and is one of my favorite mics.

I always thought dynamics were usually low impedance mics, but I guess it's all in the design, and the 10DA always worked great with my tube rigs (hi-Z input) so a buffer amp will take care of it.  Just be careful to adjust the buffer amp for clean sound so you don't splatter.
Good luck es 73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: