The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R-599 Receive Issue / 599 Twins "repaint"  (Read 2177 times)
N9WIV

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2003, 01:27:01 AM »

Hello!  I have a beautiful set of Kenwood 599D Twins, which have almost immaculate faces.  However, the actual cases could use a repaint (gray texture finished).  I was curious if anyone has ever repainted them and where to find a paint match.  Also, I'm looking for some of the lid retaining fasteners (can't find a part no.)  Any advice here would be appreciated.

Additionally, the twins have a few other quirks.  The receiver works great, with the exception of 15m being completely dead.  I *think* that it's a crystal issue, but I am not for sure.  I can definitely check it out.  The transmitter seems to work okay, though I am guessing the finals may be a bit soft.  I hope to eventually get this awesome set of radios its matching S-599 and restore them to excellent shape so I can work AM!
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 12:02:07 PM »

I had a pair of there a couple of years ago. I refinished them, but I can't remember the details. Can the covers be refinished with just a fine overspray? Or are they scratched? If they have scratches and such, I would glass bead the paint off and prime it. Sherwin-Williams could probably do a color match of the color. Then shoot them with a automotive 'touch-up gun'.
I DO remember finding some plastic latches at Lowe's that were usable. You can find them in the hardware section, in those big, blue 'specialty' cabinets.

have fun!

ron

N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 06:13:40 PM »

I've seen those plastic fasteners (there is a specific name for these things) at hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. Wonder if the receiver works on 15 when you switch to the transmitter VFO and use that to tune the receiver? Also, if low drive on 15 and 10, check the driver transistor, 3SK22, next to the 12BY7. Heat from the 12BY7 slowly kills the transistor. It's the only one there in a transistor socket (I wonder why). Been using my "D" Twins on AM since the mid 80's. I've also them with the Heath SB-200 and Johnson Courier linear amplifiers on AM. With the carrier control, front panel adjustment, it's very easy to keep from overdriving the amplifier.

Pete, WA2CWA
N9WIV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 10:11:59 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  The receiver is in worse shape than the transmitter, though they have always been paired together.  I suppose it would be possible to touch up the few missing spots and spray the cabinets.  That would definitely make a world of difference.  If I had to repaint, do you have any idea how to reintroduce the texture?  

What do you guys suggest for a microphone for these rigs?  I have a beautiful Silver Eagle (all chrome) that I could rewire.  Also, how do I check the driver transistor?... maybe that's the problem, though I get almost full output on 80m.  When hooking up the twins in tranceive mode, I still don't get 15m receive.  This is one of the first things I tried to see if it was a bandswitch issue (it has been sprayed with deoxit to clean it up).

Thanks & 73,
Chris
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 06:01:10 PM »

For ten meters, meter in ALC position, mode switch in tune, carrier level control 3/4 CW, key the transmitter and adjust the drive control for maximum reading to the ALC line. If you have to turn the carrier level control to maximum and still can't get meter reading to the ALC line, the driver(it's really called the 2nd mixer) transistor is on its way out. No easy way to test this device out of circuit.

I've used an amplified D-104 with the twins for years. Great punchy audio on SSB and AM. If you want more audio control, and better sounding audio, a W2IHY audio processor with a Heil Goldline, turns the Twins into a completely different sounding rig.

On the receiver for 15 meters, check crystal X6, 29.895MHz. Might also want to check the Antenna and RF coils for 15. Maybe some RF got in there and opened one of the coils.
Pete, WA2CWA
W1FU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 04:58:27 PM »

I lightly sanded the cabinets, then a light coat of sandable primer, then coated with KRYLON HAMMERTONE PAINT, GREY......it was not an exact match, but pretty darn close, and since did both cabinets, who would know?

Also I had a couple of pieces broken out of the black plastic piece that holds the clear window on the front...used auto body "BONDO" to repair them, sanded down and repainted with primer and semi gloss black. they look like new.....now, where to find a clear plastic "window" for this piece.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: