The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Counterpoise for longwire SWL antenna. Question(s)  (Read 751 times)
KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »

So I read this the other night:
http://www.hamuniverse.com/grounding.html

And was intrigued by the "RF Grounding" portion of it. The author states that he circled his house/shack with solid copper wire, no more than .5" in the ground, which acted as a counterpoise and cleared up noise problems, etc.

My question:
I'm installing a 200' longwire antenna, and I want to be as noise-free as possible. I can purchase a spool of 8ga bare solid wire, and I can wrap it around the foundation of the house no problem.  My issue is that my receiver is in the basement, which will be BELOW the counterpoise.  Is that going to be an issue? It (counterpoise) will definitely be lower than the antenna itself, but as I said the receiver will actually be under the wire wrapped around the outside of the basement.  If this is going to counter the effect, I'd rather not spend money on copper wire.
N6EY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 08:58:06 AM »

In short, no.  Go for it!

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:07:06 AM »

The purpose of the counterpoise is to create an RF ground reference relative to the "antenna" portion of the antenna... Not necessarily the receiver.

It doesn't matter if the receiver is more below ground than the counterpoise or if the feedline has to go downhill to get there.

N6EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:05 AM »

In fact, you can bury the counterpoise a few inches in the soil - 6 inches to a foot to keep it out of the way.  That will be the counterpoise, or the image plane - call it anything but a ground plane, as many here will agree that the term is misleading.

KAISERSOUSE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

Awesome! Thank you both for your answers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: