The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna requirements and California Building Code?  (Read 3772 times)
K6CMJ

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:29:04 AM »

I posted this same question on the Antenna Restrictions  Forum, but wanted to get some extra visibility from this large group of experts.

I want to install an antenna tower on my property in Escondido, CA. My city's buidling permit section requires all structures to conform only with the California Building Code, no other local restrictions are present. Does anyone have a copy of what is required to install a tower under the Ca code? I've looked through the code and can't find anything, although I've probably just overlooked it. I'm looking for info on setback, structural design, and height. Thanks.
K6KAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:42:47 AM »

I believe most California communities adhere to the "Uniform Building Code", UBC.
K6KAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »

I believe most California communities adhere to the "Uniform Building Code", UBC.
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:44:46 AM »

This link here might be a start: http://www.bart.gov/docs/STD_SPEC/BFS/BFS_2_0_Spec/STDSPEC/33%2083%2002.pdf

You might trot back down to the City of Escondido and see if they can provide you some more information on the California Building Code.

Also, if you have a copy of it, do some reading in the NEC handbook in Article 810 - I, II, and III.

Gud luck with the install.

And, oh, BTW... Another poster may drop in here and shed some legal light on HOA's as well. ;-)

KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:26 AM »

Might I also add that Article 810 - I, II, and III only covers cabling and lead-in conductors. Not so much in regards to the tower as far as clearences. FYIW.

K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:04 AM »

You can review the California building code at:

http://www.bsc.ca.gov/title_24/t24_2007tried.htm.

The building code is huge.

Just some items for you to consider.

•   Be prepared for a lot of reading. Almost an universal requirement is the tower set back from the property line be larger than the tower extended height.

•   Your neighbors will be notified within a 500 radius of your property line when you start the permit process.

•   Get engineering drawings from the tower manufacture.

•   You will probably need a PE to sign off on the structurals.

•   Understand you antenna requirements for the PE will need antenna weight and wind loading. Don’t forget to include coax wind loading.

•   Be prepared for questions during the permit hearing to answer questions regarding interference and also do you exposure calculation to meet public exposure QSHA requirements.

•   If the hearing is public yo will find many home owners will question property values. Do you home work.

•   Contact the ARRL for a antenna tower package.

Good luck, I found it easier to move to Colorado.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »

You can review the California building code at:

http://www.bsc.ca.gov/title_24/t24_2007tried.htm.

The building code is huge.

Just some items for you to consider.

•   Be prepared for a lot of reading. Almost an universal requirement is the tower set back from the property line be larger than the tower extended height.

•   Your neighbors will be notified within a 500 radius of your property line when you start the permit process.

•   Get engineering drawings from the tower manufacture.

•   You will probably need a PE to sign off on the structurals.

•   Understand you antenna requirements for the PE will need antenna weight and wind loading. Don’t forget to include coax wind loading.

•   Be prepared for questions during the permit hearing to answer questions regarding interference and also do you exposure calculation to meet public exposure QSHA requirements.

•   If the hearing is public yo will find many home owners will question property values. Do you home work.

•   Contact the ARRL for a antenna tower package.

Good luck, I found it easier to move to Colorado.
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »

Why do you not just call your local building permit office and ask them?

And while you are at it, you might get details of any permits and or post completion inspections as well.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 02:22:03 PM »

I posted my response hours ago in the "Antenna Restrictions" section, but will paste it here just in case you don't go back there:

RE: Antenna requirements and California Building Code?       Reply
by WB2WIK on October 20, 2009    Mail this to a friend!

I've installed several towers in southern CA and have towers at my present location.

The CBC is not specific on many of these things, so you can look for a long time and not find what you're looking for.

What I've found is the best approach is to:

1. Secure certified blueprints and specifications for the tower in question, including all foundation requirements specified by the manufacturer.

2. Pick what I deem to be a suitable site on the property for installation.

3. Apply with the city or municipality for a building permit for the tower, pay the applicable fee.

4. Ask for Engineering Inspection prior to construction to assure the installation will be approved -- much easier to find this out in advance, rather than have it disapproved after it's done! Ask the engineer if a foundation inspection (base/concrete or even excavation) is required. If so, complete that step prior to assembling the tower on its foundation.

5. Proceed with installation. When it's done, call to ask if a final inspection is required to complete the permitting process.

None of this is complicated. Here in L.A., it all happens by rote once you apply for the permit. They often waive inspections and just approve by the plans.

It pays to have a signed permit, though...can be trouble later if you don't have one.

In some places, a permit for a tower under a certain height isn't even required. But that information is NOT in the CBC...it's by municipality and zoning ordinance.

WB2WIK/6
K6CMJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

Thanks for all the help, advice, etc. As suggested, I will visit the city's planning department for the permit applications, and such. But this question is to get me started on the design, which I'm doing myself.

Also, in reference to one comment, Escondido adhere's to the CBC and not UBC, although it's true that the CBC is based on the UBC.

Thanks again for all the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: