The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drake TR7  (Read 6814 times)
AB2MA

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »

My TR7 has an erratic freq. display.It seems to be counting up or down.I cannot seem to change the band either.I have not found a manual yet,so it may be something I am doing wrong.Any ideas. thanks!
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 06:56:20 AM »

For good technical guidance on the TR7, I suggest you try the Drake mailing list (http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/drake).  In the meantime, it would be a good idea to check all the connectors on the DR7 board.  For any intermittent problem on the TR7, I'd advise pulling all the circuit cards and cleaning the pins with De-Oxit on a Q-tip.  Removing the DR7 board to clean the pins can be a bit tricky if you don't know where the pins and sockets are located, and you can't see that with the board installed  .  A service manual has the info you need.  If you're not up to doing the work yourself, you'll find one or two guys on the Drake mailing list who service TR7s.  Best of luck with the TR7.
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:05 AM »

Here's another source of info on the Drake line:
http://www.wb4hfn.com/

In the meantime, do what K8AC suggested.

73, Jim/k7unz
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 10:02:07 AM »

Are you sure it's not "cockpit error?"

Is the counter switch set to read the rig's frequency and not "external," which connects the counter to a rear-panel jack so it can be used as an actual frequency counter?

WB2WIK/6
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 05:03:12 PM »

Also make sure the Aux Progam switch is in normal Unless you have the AUX board and it is programed.
   Don WD8PTB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:13:06 PM »

AB2MA, are you ever returning here?

The WB4HFN website has the complete TR-7 manual on line, although you have to download it page by page, which takes some time...

WB2WIK/6
AB2MA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 08:53:00 PM »

Sorry guys,I had to work a couple double shifts.I will try your suggestions in the morning and let you know how i made out.Thanks again
AB2MA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:14:17 AM »

OK,I made sure the counter switch and the aux program switches were in the right position.I also cleaned all controls and connections I could get to with DE-OXIT.All screws holding pc boards down were loosened and retightened as well as any other screws I could get too.I did not pull the DR7 board until I get the manual.The freq. display still counts up and then slows and starts counting down in cycles.The only way it changes is in the 15 and 10 meter band it goes from 17.878 to 33.565mhz.  Stan AB2MA
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »

1.  Manual's on line, I gave you the info earlier.  You can have the manual in minutes if you want to download it and have a fast connection.

2.  Did this rig "work properly" before, and now just started doing what you describe?  If so, when did the problem start?  If not, how do you know the rig ever worked?

3.  Understand the part about the frequency display problems, but does the rig transmit and receive and tune normally, or does "nothing" work?

WB2WIK/6
AB2MA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 07:39:16 AM »

I viewed the manual and believe I'm operating the rig correctly.I just obtained the tr7 from an estate sale,so I don't know the history.I don't believe the recieve is working,but when the mic is keyed the rig has output.Also the correct freq. is displayed,when the rig is in transmit mode.Thanks for the input.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 04:20:58 PM »

The TR-7 has provision for a separate receiving antenna, so you can transmit with one antenna and receive with a different one if you wish (a lot of people do this on 80 or 160 meters, to use a low-noise RX antenna).

Is yours definitely set up for a common antenna (both TX and RX)?  If not, then that's one reason the receiver wouldn't work...although the counter SHOULD work, even if the antenna's not connected.
AB2MA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 09:16:31 PM »

I tried the recieve ant.and still nothing.They is no noticable change in the speaker noise with or without an antenna. ab2ma
AB2MA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »

Problem solved.The fixed vfo rcv switch after being cleaned and used a few times,cured the problem.Thanks to everyone for their time. Stan
W4LGH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 06:17:48 AM »

I don't think your problem is with the DR7 board, since you say it displays the right freq when in transmit. Also you say you think the receiver is not working. You have lost your injection signal going into the receiver. The display is hunting because in receive it is locked to injection freq. Without my diagram in front of me, I can't give you any specifics, but if you will look at where the DR7 board gets in info from in receive and follow that line back, it will put you in the ball park. I can't remember if that is in the 1st or 2nd IF board.

73 de W4LGH - Alan
See my Drake collection @ www.w4lgh.com
W4LGH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 06:19:45 AM »

I don't think your problem is with the DR7 board, since you say it displays the right freq when in transmit. Also you say you think the receiver is not working. You have lost your injection signal going into the receiver. The display is hunting because in receive it is locked to injection freq. Without my diagram in front of me, I can't give you any specifics, but if you will look at where the DR7 board gets in info from in receive and follow that line back, it will put you in the ball park. I can't remember if that is in the 1st or 2nd IF board.

73 de W4LGH - Alan
See my Drake collection @ www.w4lgh.com

...Hmmmm...looks I was a little late and didn't finish the thread...Glad its working!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: