The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit TX-1  (Read 1737 times)
AB2MA

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:51:53 AM »

Getting ready to put my vintage AM station on the air(TX-1,RX-1 and HA-10).Any thoughts on a mic for the TX-1?I have an astatic D-104 and an Electro voice 638,if these are compatable what is the wiring diagram?The manual does not say much about the subject.The TX-1 is unmodified.Should I bypass the amplifier section in the D-104?TNX,WB3EIM
KB2VXA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:27:34 PM »

Hi guy,

The D-104 goes very well with the scratchy Apache and only CBs need "power mics" so running the cartridge straight in is recommended. If you want a bit more bottom end in the audio increase the grid resistor in the 1st stage from 47K to 10M. The beauty of the beast is the M derived pi section low pass filter after the clipper which cuts off sharply at 3Kc so you can use a decent amount of clipping before distortion is noticed. With the modulation gain (behind the key jack, insert screwdriver) adjusted properly you won't have a bit of splatter.

Gotta love those twins but the SB-10 is just for show, the VFO drifts way too much and CW might be problematical as well. That's the only major drawback, that VF-1 just doesn't like temperature rise.

The real KB2VXA glows in the dark.
73 de Warren, 1/2 The Boat Anchor Brothers
W6GF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:08:22 PM »

I use an EV-664 and get great audio reports

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: