The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood's AIP  (Read 7240 times)
N6SMR

Ignore
« on: November 29, 2006, 09:00:25 AM »

I'm wondering if when someone asks for a signal report (especially on 40m/80m) if i should have the AIP on my Kenwood TS-850 off or on? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Steve
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »

The S-meter is arbitrary.  S7 on one radio is totally different from S7 on another.  The intervals between S-units vary all over the place, so it doesn't really matter.  AIP on, AIP off it's not going to mean anything concrete to the other station.  If they're loud, give 'em a 59.  If they're weak and not perfect copy give them a 4 by 5

So, with that out of the way, turn AIP on when you're on 40m and 80m.  It helps RX performance when you've got strong signals all around, like you do on 40 and especially 80.  

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N6SMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 02:45:43 PM »

Yes that was what i was. Its all relative hehe. I figure Kenwood set the rig with AIP on those bands for a reason and it really does make it more pleasant listening on those bands with it for sure.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:27:06 PM »

I have a TS850S and must say that of all the recent transceivers I've had, its "S" meter (bargraph display with a lot of segments) is one of the best I've encountered.

For one thing, in all modes except FM (where everything changes), the S meter display on the TS-850S is pretty accurate: Each S-unit is in the 5-6 dB range, about as expected, and +10 dB really is 10 dB stronger than S9, and +20 dB really is 10 dB stronger than +10, etc -- in most cases.  I verify this with my HP 8640B signal generator which I have calibrated annually (it's +/- 0.2 dB accurate in any 10 dB range, and better than +/- 2 dB accurate over its entire range from -137 dBm to +13 dBm).

On FM, all bets are off -- different AGC and detector scheme entirely.

I always have the AIP "on," which means nothing more than the front end is "shut off."  It works better this way, and is far less prone to overload and intermodulation problems.  You don't need the preamp on any band below 15m (21 MHz), ever.  There is ZERO difference in "sensitivity" (MDS) with the preamp on or off below this band.

Having said all that, I give signal reports with my eyes closed, based on what I hear.  A station can be 20/S9 and sound "45" if the band's particularly noisy.

A station can be S3 and sound "59" if the band's particularly quiet.

WB2WIK/6
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 11:09:45 PM »

You can get a neat little oscillator kit from Elecraft that you can use to calibrate S-meters, for minimum and max signal, it's also handy as a pocketsized signal source to check rigs at hamfests, etc.

and you can play a tune on it too, if you're really weird!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: