The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phone Off-Hook Blinky LED????  (Read 1178 times)
KC4HGH

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

This has twisted my brain for days, but due to work, I can't concentrate, so I thought I'd come to some great minds here!

We have just installed a new phone system (I.P. phone by CISCO) and the receptionist cannot tell when we're on the phone...there's no option on her's like the old system.  What if...can a simple blinky LED be built/had that can be attached to our phones so she can look at us and see that we're off-hook, talking to customers?  I normally place mine on the counter in plain sight, but my compades' phones are off to the side & she can't tell if they're laid down or not.

I figured, with a blinky LED driven by low line voltage when we pick up the receiver, (and goes off when we hang up) and it pointed her way so she can see it, would be VERY useful and stress-relieving, as well, so she won't have so many frustrated customers coming right back when she tries to forward the calls in error.

If you have a circuit, you can e-mail it direct to me at: melvin.stacey@cummins.com

Thanks in advance!  Bud, KC4HGH
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »

hi,

we got IP phones from Avaya,
the receptionist has an add on console
that shows who is on the line.

should not be too expensive,
or the phone rep can give you
some training.

james
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 08:29:51 AM »

Bud,

I don't think you are getting straight information from you telephone tech. I've never heard of a business telephone system that could not have a busy lamp field. Here's the Cisco version of it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps379/ps1856/product_data_sheet09186a008008883d.html

Your system may be a different model so you may have to look around their site a bit to find the right one to work with your system.

Bernie
KC4HGH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 08:29:34 PM »

I agree, Bernie...but this is all we get and the owner of the company isn't buying any more equipment, plus he doesn't believe in voice mail, PLUS, the extension only rings three times before it goes back to the receptionist...at least she can ask us, since were across the lobby, if we're on or not...can't say the same for in the maintenance or sales areas.

I'll get her to call our phone guy...and, believe it or not, all this was installed and NO Owner's Manuals were brought in, just the bare nekkid equipment!  Talk about cheaping out!  His reply was, "Well, no one's ever asked for one before!"  Duh...and HER phone has less features than ours on the desks, go figure!  Hence, my thought processes came forth & thought up the blinkey LED; just thought I'd throw the idea out there & ask.

What made me think of it was the "teen-age blinkey light" that MATCO Electronics, et. al., came out with years ago so an inquiring parent could see that the line was in use from other extensions in the home.  Same concept, but older, analog phone system.  Well, I may try to find that again and see if it'll adapt to out phone system.

Thanks, Guys!  73 de Bud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: