The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to use as a mobile HF antenna  (Read 1518 times)
N2XZS

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2003, 03:38:04 PM »

Hello all,

I am new to the group and I want to say hello and I also have a question to the group.

I was thinking to get a mobile antenna for HF operation. I looked at some of the reviews an a few antennas (outbacker, High sierra, Hi-Q).

I kind of decided on the Hi-Q 2.5/40 RT and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this antenna and installation and tuning. How difficult is to tune and how good is the antenna. All the reviews that I read it was very good.

Should I get the remote tune or should I get the manual tune.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks and 73’s to all

N2XZS
Robert

WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2003, 06:11:01 AM »

Robert,
 You are asking a question that has as many opinions
 as the beach has grains of sand. I can share my
setup with you, which is the product of 25 years of
mobile operation. I have used many things over the
years. The simplest is the Hustler mast and resonators
for each band you wish to use. The drawback is that
if you wish to change bands you must change the coil.
I found a way to improve that setup. I can use my
Hustler and the 40 meter resonator with my SGC
SG-237 and work 6,10,12,20,40, and 80. You notice
that 15 and 17 are missing . I can work all bands and
all frequencies from 1.8 to 50 if I use my screwdriver
antenna and the SGC tuner. The screwdriver has to be
adjusted twice to accomplish this but it is the best
that I have come up with, so far. I discovered many
years ago that you must keep mobile operating simple
or it becomes dangerous.
I hope this helps.
73 and good luck - Tim

N7PTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2003, 01:57:53 AM »

I have a High Sierra HS-1800 antenna with the Am-Com "ASAC" (auto screwdriver antenna controller). In my opinion, this is the best setup since the screwdriver antenna is infinitely tunable and the ASAC does the tuning automatically.  Not only easy, but safe.
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2003, 11:12:40 PM »

With mobile HF antennas, size DOES matter. Get as large, within reason, as you can afford to mount.

There are reasons for doing less, but they always mark the extremes of what you can get away with, not what works best.

Good luck!

Cortland
N4GRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2003, 10:16:39 PM »

I recently installed a "Hi-Q Stealth 4/80" antenna and the "ASAC" tuner in my auto. I feed this antenna with a 706.

This is my first mobile rig and my first HF contacts(just went from Tech to Extra in Feb 2003) were made on this rig during an extended driving trip from Atlanta to Nova Scotia.

In the first 2 weeks I made multiple contact with 32 different countries and many US States (Budapest, Zimbabwe, Ireland, Slovenia, Germany, France, etc.). This was all with a 42" whip mostly while actually driving and not parked. I worked 80 to 10 meters with no problem and no whip changes or anything.

The weather was very cold (7F high for several days straight and motor never stalled) with lots of snow and ice. I simply sprayed de-icer on feed point to remove ice/snow/salt each morning.

The Hi-Q antenna worked great. I received many many compliments on my audio and strength for a mobile. I almost never made a call that I did not get a return. The only non-returns were in large "pile-ups" and they were even rare.

I don't know about other setups but I am very happy with the Hi-Q Stealth antenna. It tunes 80 to 6 with the touch of a button.

I certainly recommend the Hi-Q Stealth antenna.

I got lots of good advice on bonding, matching, and etc., on this FORUM so that also is a big part of my success so far.

I will be posting some pix of the antenna install at www.picturetrail.com/N4GRN in next few days.

73 N4GRN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: