The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spiral cell glass mat lead acid batteries  (Read 1465 times)
BENNETT

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2003, 10:32:01 PM »

I have been considering a mobile radio but trying to bring 12V power back to the trunk has always been the limiting factor - to essentially void the warranty for all electrical issues.

But I have been thinking about using deep cycle spiral cell glass mat lead acid battery in the trunk.  You could mount this in any orientation (and there is no hydrogen production).  It has a lot of reserve (75Ah).

The radio base could practically sit within an inch of the battery.  I could use the low amperage 12V run for the CD changer to keep it charged.  

But there needs to be a charging regulator and something to prevent me from blowing a fuse in the car  everytime TX is keyed up.

Is there is a charger that would take 12V trickle in and prevent the radio from ever seeing the 12V from the car and only use the batteries power?

With this arrangement it would be a non event to remove it all and take it in for service.  I would only need to leave the wire for the head unit up to the driver's seat.  A small low voltage wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 11:23:06 PM »

> essentially void the warranty for all
> electrical issues.

That's not true.  The only time this would be a problem is if the equipment you install causes a failure in a (covered) vehicle system.  

> I have been thinking about using deep cycle spiral
> cell glass mat lead acid battery in the trunk.

For a variety of reasons (cost, complexity, secondary problems) this is not a good idea.  Most equipment needs more than the ~12V a battery in this configuration would produce.  You would be much better off running a heavy gauge wire to the trunk.

> I could use the low amperage 12V run for the CD
> changer to keep it charged.

It would have to be enough current to supply the *average* draw of the equipment, otherwise you would have an Ah deficit.  It would take a long time to recover if you exceeded the average for any length of time.

> there needs to be a charging regulator and
> something to prevent me from blowing a fuse

Ideally it would be a circuit with virtually no voltage drop until the supply current limit is exceeded.  The simplest way to do this is with an appropriately rated light bulb as a ballast.

> Is there is a charger that would take 12V trickle
> in and prevent the radio from ever seeing the 12V
> from the car and only use the batteries power?

To do this effectively would require some DC-DC converters, a costly way to go.  No, diodes won't work, they've got too much drop.

> remove it all and take it in for service.

A lot of work and expense for a scenario that doesn't exist.  People install all sorts of aftermarket devices in their cars and it doesn't void any warranty.  Run a 6 or 4ga wire from the battery positive to the trunk with the appropriate fusing and you won't have to mess with expensive batteries and other componentry.  

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 05:31:08 PM »

Mark is dead on, and if any body knows about DC power, it's Mark. He did, after all, build his own eletric pickup truck!

As I told one newer poster, I wrote several articles about doing exactly what you want to do, and they are a good place to start. The URLs are

http://www.eham.net/articles/4407, and 4424, 4425, and 4623.

Alan, KØBG

PS: Mark has a web site detailing his electric vehicle and it makes very interesting reading from any standpoint.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: