The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a FT-90R in an 01 Jetta  (Read 1081 times)
VE1HUP

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2003, 11:00:25 AM »

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has installed this radio or another radio with a remote control head in the new Jetta?  I am looking for ideas on where to locate the main unit (trunk, etc.) and more importantly, where to locate the head unit (faceplate).  I went with this radio for it's size, but I am still not sure where to put the head unit, as the Jetta's dash is very busy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

73, Darryl
VE1HUP
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 06:09:08 PM »

Darryl,
 I don't know if the Jetta is the same in VE land as it is here, but I'll give you some ideas.

My '01 jetta has a small compartment above the radio.  I'm guessing that if you have both the CD player and the tape player that this void may be filled with one or the other.  If you grab a hold of the vents in the top of this compartment and give it a good yank, it will pop out of the dash. (the front panel may also pop off the radio.  It is supposed to snap back on)  You may be able to mount the control head (and possibly even the radio) in this pocket.

Do you have a CD Changer?  If not, you can likely use the small compartment in the trunk (on the driver side) to mount your radio.  They wired ALL jettas from the factory for CD changers, so there is a cable here that runs up to the front of the car and plugs into the back of the radio.  You could likely adapt this cable to serve as your separation cable (I'm told Yaesu uses RJ11/12 plugs for their separation cables)

The FT90 is fairly small, right?  I would consider mounting it up under the rear deck, so that it would be accessible easily from the trunk, but wouldn't get crushed by suitcases, groceries, or bodies that may get carelessly thrown in the trunk.  

This radio may actually be small enough to mount up under the dash somewhere.  I don't know, I haven't spent alot of time with an FT90 or under the dash of my Jetta.

Since the seats on the Jetta have a HUGE range of forward and backward adjustability, I would not consider mounting them under the front seats.  If the seat were adjusted too far forward it might be kicked by a passenger in the rear seat.  

I'm a lefty, so I might consider mounting the faceplate to the left of the "doghouse" that covers the instrument panel, between the doghouse and the a-pillar.  That would work out good for me, but if you like holding the mike in your right hand, you'd likely get it tangled in the steering wheel.  This is BAD.  You could also mount the faceplate on the right side of this doghouse.  Some of the cell phone mounts with the extra-sticky bases may be able to be modified to hold your faceplate.  Those things really are extra-sticky, just make sure that you have a cool,dry surface and you haven't used Armor All on your dash recently.

There you have it, the ramblings of another Jetta owner.  For what it's worth, if you have a stock stereo system, you're missing out on the full range of color your speakers can provide.  Replace with an aftermarket stereo (mine is a Kenwood) and really hear your music come alive.

Cheers,
  KB9YNB
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 09:48:55 AM »

I have an FT-90r mounted in my VW New Beetle.  I built a bracket that mounts under the glove compartment as close to the center console as possible, using the screws that hold the plastic dash to the frame.  The FT-90r mount then attaches to this.  The radio is well away from where your passenger would normally kick it (my wife has never even noticed it).  I built a bracket that mounts right under the center console (heating/AC knobs) and used longer screws and standoffs for this.  I attached the remote head to this, as well as a mic hook.  Both brackets were bent up from scrap aluminum, and both were spray painted black.  Everything looks very good.  

For an antenna, I use a glass-mount dual-band Larson on the right rear back window.  I ran LMR-200 under the floor mats, past the back seat, and then back up to the connecotr for the antenna.  The LMR-200 (RG-58 size) slipped under the molding just below the window so it is not seen until just before it connects to the Larson connector on the windo.

For power, I attached right to the 30 amp accessory studs just over the driver's knees (pull down the access plate by removing three screws).  

Phil - AD5X
VE1HUP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 12:35:22 PM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

73, Darryl
VE1HUP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: