The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna recommendations  (Read 1375 times)
KC2LVC

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2003, 06:16:49 PM »

Hi. I just got a new car, and I'm going to get a dual-band mobile radio ( not sure which one yet) I need some recommendations on an antenna that is not magnet mount or needs any holes drilled. The ideal thing would be something that has a rubber bottom and maybe attaches to the underside of the trunk somehow. Is there such an antenna, and if so, are there good quality ones for 144-440?

Thanks in advance.

~Matt
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:49:10 PM »

There are a variety of trunk lip mounts available. The only antennas that perform really well are the ones that mount in a hole in the center of the roof. Everything else is a compromise.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
FRANKM12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 11:18:32 PM »

KVCLVC,

They have rubber mounts that are magnetic.  And some of the rubber magnets are powerful as well!  Why don't you try to find company that makes a rubber magnet mounted antenna?  There must be someone out there.

Also, they make units that have magnets with a rubber coating just underneath it.  This would work as well.  Ideally, though it would be nice to find some company that has the rubber magnet thing, but, you may find the magnets with the rubber coating much quicker.

frank
KG4VLQ

K7IHC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2003, 04:44:05 AM »

I think Diamond makes the nicest trunk-lip mounts, if you don't want to drill.  For a dual-band (2m/70cm) mobile antenna, the Larsen 2/70 NMO is a really great one.  I used one for awhile.
I have a new(er) car (1998), and I have 3 holes in the trunk lid for:  tri-band (2/70cm/23cm), 144 MHz 1/4 wave for APRS, and a scanner antenna.  The trunk lid is the next best location compared with the roof, as I wanted a lower profile than rooftop whips.
KC2LVC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 10:15:34 AM »

Thanks for the advice, and taking time to reply.  I know a roof mount, in the center, would be best, but like I said, I'd rather not drill any holes in this car. I'll checkout the rubber coated magnets and the lip mount mentioned. Thanks again everyone.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 11:07:53 AM »

Why don't you want to drill a hole?

It will have ZERO effect on the resale value of the vehicle and is the BEST way to mount an antenna.

Lon
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 06:59:54 PM »

An over-the-glass BNC mount (you roll the window
up to hold a BNC vertical outside the car) with
a Comet CH-722SA ground independent dual bander
on it, is an inconspicuous and functional way to
go. These are getting hard to find and it may be
that they are not being shipped into the US any
more; at a yard long, and rigid steel, they are
really not an antenna for smal HT's. But they
ARE rated at 50 watts.

http://www.wavehunter.com/comet1.htm
http://www.radioworld.co.uk/comethandy.htm

Cortland
W1TFM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 10:07:50 AM »

Hi Matt,
The Diamond Super Gainer 7900 dual band antenna I think is the greatest. The diamond 400 series trunk mount is exactly what you are looking for. It fits on the trunk lip, has rubber protectors and has a very thin but effective lead that runs into your trunk. From where the thin coax supplied with the 400 series Diamond Trunk Mount you may have to purchase an extention cable to allow you to run the coax up to your rig. If you purchase the Diamond SG-7900 you will absolutely not regret your purchase. You "Can" purchase another non 400 series mount... that is up to you, there you may save a few dollars. The SG-7900 is a little on the tall side but I tell ya, you will be amazed with it's performance.
73's and Good Health
W1TFM
W9WHE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 03:09:27 PM »

AA4PB writes:

"The only antennas that perform really well are the ones that mount in a hole in the center of the roof. Everything else is a compromise".

I strongly disagree.
Sure, the extra 1.5 ft a roof-top installation affords helps, but let's face it, you woul be hard pressed to mesure the difference in "S" units. Not worth drilling a hole. You could achieve the same result on UHF by using low-loss coax (instead of RG58) and eliminating excess. Heck, if its that important, use an AMP!

You don't have to drive a car that looks like a porcupine on steroids to be effective on VHF/UHF. Go ahead, mount that antenna on the trunk lip!!!!!!!!

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 07:14:58 PM »

Diamond's K400 mount (trunk or hatchback lip) works very well.  I've used it with a Diamond CR224 antenna for 2m and 222MHz with great results.  It's a pretty big antenna, though.

I'm moving to a triband radio, triplexer, and a CR324 for 2m/222/440 in the next week or so.  If you'd like I'll post the results.

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: