The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Slick antenna mount on Grand Cherokee  (Read 4919 times)
K8RBT

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2004, 06:16:36 PM »

My son just purchased a '98 Grand Cherokee and we are going to mount V8000 or 208 in it soon. I'm trying to come up with a good antenna mounting setup and thought maybe someone on eHam might have already worked out a good mount.

Unlike my '01 Grand Cherokee's raised roof rack rails, my son's '98 has the roof rack rails that are screwed directly to the roof. By rails, I'm referring to the pieces that go for and aft, not the movable crossbars. I don't care to mount an antenna to the crossbars because they do get used and moved around a lot for bike carriers and a ski box.

The mount I'm using wraps around the rail and has worked out well. I'm thinking that maybe buying one of the various brackets and coming up with a way to screw it or bolt it to the inside vertical edge of the rail.

Has anyone run done a similar type install and have any good suggestions or thoughts?
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 11:30:14 PM »

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee and have a FT8900 control head up front with the radio behind the full size spare. Antenna is on a heavy duty lipmount on the rear hatch. Be careful of the metal roof rails the aluminum is thin and soft. I had Thule roof racks with adapters that mounted to the front to back tracks. I was careless taking them off one time and i seriously damaged on rail. Remove the rear plastic end cap and you can eyeball the extrusion cross section. It is a lot thinner than I would want it to be.

73 de N2IK Walt
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 01:19:38 AM »

What's the matter with drilling a hole right where the inside dome light is located and using a 3/4" NMO mount?

You are talking about a vehicle that's six years old. Smiley

My 2003 Windstar has two holes in the roof.

Lon
K8RBT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 11:05:32 AM »

Good point Walt with the thin aluminum rails. I use to have a '94 Grand Cherokee and had a few issues with using Yakima towers on the rails (their first design would slide back when going down the road). I'm thinking more and more about using one of the heavy lip mount brackets like the Comet RS-730 (CP-5M with the cable). Part of my reluctance is that my son takes this vehicle to high school and the lip mount is a little more noticable with kids screwing around with it. Mounted higher inside a rail I think it would draw a little less attention and less likely to be vandalized.

Lon, I'd have no problem sticking a hole in the roof. This would be clean, low cost, good ground (if using a short antenna), etc. However, it would be in the way when putting bikes or a ski box on the roof. I also have a concern about major damage if hitting something with the antenna. I've driven into the garage a few times forgetting I have my long antenna on my Jeep.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 06:48:43 PM »

<<  However, it would be in the way when putting bikes or a ski box on the roof. >>

Bikes or ski boxes? Geez, what a waste of roof space. <gg>

<< I also have a concern about major damage if hitting something with the antenna. I've driven into the garage a few times forgetting I have my long antenna on my Jeep. >>

The rest of the stuff on the roof I understand, but how is a roof mounted antenna more of a problem than one mounted on the rack rail? Seems to me they would be about the same height? I'm fortunate that my garage has a 10' foot open height, so the only thgink I have to worry about is the whip on top of the High Sierra - I do have to fold it down before entering to keep from dragging it along the inside of the garage. Smiley

K8RBT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2004, 10:36:35 PM »

<<The rest of the stuff on the roof I understand, but how is a roof mounted antenna more of a problem than one mounted on the rack rail? Seems to me they would be about the same height?>>

Only concern is if he (more likely me) forgets about the antenna and drives into a garage or under low branches on trail, I think there could be a fair amount of vehicle damage. With the roof rack mount, I've only destroyed one antenna and bent my bracket around once (oops). If it was a roof mount, I would have probably had more vehicle damage to the sheet metal.

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 11:29:26 AM »

<< Only concern is if he (more likely me) forgets about the antenna and drives into a garage or under low branches on trail, I think there could be a fair amount of vehicle damage. >>

Don't know - have never done that. Smiley

I HAVE driven into an undergound parking garage with a clamshell-type cargo carrier fastened to the luggage rack on a minivan, though. Cargo carrier and back cross rail of the rack wound up on the floor!!!
N6LSA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 12:25:44 AM »

I had a '93 Grand and drilled and installed an NMO mount in roof. Now I have a 2000 Grand and the interior roof does not have the overhead console to work with, so I am just using a large mag mount.
Works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: