The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler CGT-144 optimum location  (Read 1527 times)
WB9YCJ

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2001, 06:31:53 PM »

Hams have really enjoyed the great performing Hustler CGT-144 over the years.  I have always used it with the supplied trunk lip mount mounted near the center of my rear window.  It has performed like a "Bandit".  

Being a 5/8th over a 1/4 wave design, what detriment has it been by having the lower 1/4 wave portion below the roof of the car and "shielded" to the front (by the roof)?

Getting bold and brave, I am contemplating mounting this super antenna to the roof top center (magnets).  My large car with good size roof should provide a very good ground plane at this location and allow the antenna to "see" and radiate better in all directions.  Right?  Since my car is a almost a "low rider" and this 8 ft antenna flexes, I'm not worried about striking overhead objects.

Is it really worth it (signal wise) to acquire the multi-mag mount and move it off the trunk to the roof center?

KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2001, 08:32:43 AM »

A high center mount does perform better if you have that option.  I have a Hustler Professional ball mount on the roof of my 1984 Jeep Cherokee (backed by 1/8" reinforcing plate) and have used the CG-144 on for both long range FM simplex and SSB.  When moving down the Interstate at highway speed the stinger leans over enough to give reasonable SSB performance, though you have alot of flutter and it isn't as effective as a rigid horizontal loop.  If are serious about mobile SSB, a KB6KQ.com loop mounted 1/2 wave above the roof deck is a killer antenna!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2001, 07:08:19 PM »

I've used the old Hustler 2m 7/8-wavlength colinear you describe many times over the years.

Other than looking a bit goofy and possibly damaging your roof finish with the multi mag design base, I think it will work very well "up there."  The problem I've noted with the CGT-144 is that its angle of radiation is so darned low (like driving around with a base station antenna!) that it doesn't put much of a signal up over local hills or buildings very well.  It works very well on flat terrain, where the lowest possible radiation angle is a good thing.

Let us know how it works out!

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
YD1FRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2003, 04:25:08 AM »

I'm interesting with CGT 144 and have looking for -+ 3 years,but couldn't find anymore in my country (Indonesia).Would you like or anyone tell me where/how can I get it?

I'm waiting for your email: rezaentertainment@yahoo.com / SMS to +62811221455

Thank you very much.

Reza
KB1KVL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 10:54:22 PM »

I purchased Hustler CGT-144 antenna today. I installed it on a ball mount on the left rear quarter of my car even though I know the directional charactoristics of mobile antennas. I received Q5 reports 25 air miles away from my repeater going to another mobile. The person I spoke to said they never heard anyone talking through that repeater from such a distance, ever. Bottom line is don't worry about mounting location. This antenna is a performer no matter where it's mounted.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: