The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rigrunner question  (Read 1796 times)
N3IYU

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2003, 02:04:25 AM »

I'm certainly no expert on electronics so this may seem simple to someone else, but I don't know the answer.  The West Mountain Radio RigRunner is a dc power distribution system that I am considering buying for my jeep grand cherokee.  Their website says it can handle all of your 12VDC needs.  What about something that runs on 9V?  Will the rigrunner work, or provide too much power?  Thanks.

Mike
N3IYU
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 06:19:35 AM »

Mike,
Access your favorite Search Engine and type in
"Basic Electricity" . And begin learning before
you attempt to attach a non-12 volt DC item to a
12 volt DC source. Just in case you can't wait,
be sure you have a Fire Extinguisher close by.
73 - Tim
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 07:59:58 AM »

The RigRunner is basically nothing more than a bunch of electrical connectors parallel connected together. If you put 12VDC in you get 12VDC out. If you put 9VDC in you get 9VDC out. It doesn't do any power conversion to give you both 12VDC and 9VDC outlets from a 12VDC input.

Some models have a voltage sensor that will indicate if the voltage is too low. This model will give you a low voltage indication if you put 9VDC into it.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2003, 11:36:46 AM »

It seems there are always the BIG TALKERS who would rather Chastize and Demean a person who is looking for help rather than actually help them.  
Although yes, to be sure, in principle one should have a basic understanding of electronics before venturing forth on such projects,  the smart-A** comments served no purpose other than is own self grandizement. They were neither HELPFUL or ENCOURAGING. I apologize for their arrogance.

The second comment is correct. The rig runner is just a power distribution block, that happens to support the current (no pun intended) VOGUE of Anderson's POWER POLE connector system.

There are many many 12v to 9v DC converters available from just about anywhere that sells portable CD players, etc.  Wal-Mart, Target, Radio-SH**, to name a few. Just be sure to purchase one that will handle the current (amperage) requirements of whatever it is you are trying to power.  (for most purposes heavier duty is better) Also be sure to observe and follow the correct polarity (positive + and negitive-) when connecting the device(s)

It will then be a simple matter to power the 12v to 9v adaptor from the RIGRUNNER and then your 9v device from the adaptor.

Had you had the Knowledge of Electronics, I would then tell you to grab a LM-317 or similar voltage requlator and build a small 9v regulator. or given you the website address of several circuits to build.  However for this discussion that point is MOOT.

HAPPY HAMIN' and keep learning... Don't let the purists get you down.  Keep on asing questions. and
good luck

CAM - N7NBB
N3IYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2003, 03:19:53 PM »

Thanks for the answer.  I appreciate your response very much, and it is certainly more helpful than one of the previous responses.

I'll be the first to admit it, I don't have the scientific mind.  I'm not an electrician nor will I ever really understand how it all works.  But many years ago when my father introduced me to this hobby, I was hooked.  So I'll continue having fun!  Thanks!

Mike
N3IYU
N3IYU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2003, 03:21:44 PM »

That's a shame, because the goverment trusts me to operate a $60 million jet!  

Mike
N3IYU
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 07:12:14 AM »

It sounded like a reasonable question to me. A quick look at the web page could easily leave you with the impression that there might be more to it than a bunch of connectors. I happened to know for sure because I have one. It makes a neat way to connect the gear to the 12VDC power supply in my console. It also provides a separate fuse for each circuit which can be sized to protect the device connected to it.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N2OBY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2003, 03:24:16 PM »

Mike,

Don't let the hard cases get you down.  I can't add anything to the good information that's already been provided, but just wanted to comment that I viewed your web page and saw that not only are you a naval aviator, but (I assume) that you fly an EA-6B Prowler.

I'm a former Air Force AMMO troop, and must admit that two of my favorite aircraft don't carry weapons:  the Air Force's EF-111 Raven (aka "Spark Vark") and the Navy's Prowler.  It takes cojones to enter the battlefield unarmed...  Unfortunately I believe that the Raven's are no longer flying and that the same is forecast for the Prowler.  Is that indeed the case?

Keep enjoying the hobby, and hopefully we'll have an opportunity to meet on the air someday.

Ken N2OBY
N3IYU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2003, 11:53:58 PM »

Ken,

You are correct.  The EF-111 no longer flies.  The only ones I have seen are down in Tucson in the boneyard!  However, the Aussies still fly the F-111 I believe.  We sell them parts, of course.

The Prowler is scheduled to be replaced by the EA-18 over the next 10 years or so...so Prowlers will still be flying for a while yet.

As for going in without any weapons, we do shoot HARM, but its not defensive of course, and it doesn't really help when you can't see it hit something!  But those Iraqis sure were pesky.

Mike
N3IYU
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 08:47:39 PM »

sorry om, but that is a scary thought... you can drive a $60million dollar plane but do not have the basic skills that were once required for a ham license.

check out the ARRL Handbook, Electronic Communications... many of the "Understanding" books by Sams (Howard Sams not WalMart)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 09:08:06 PM »

Can you quote me a chapter and page in the ARRL Handbook or SAMS publication that specifically mentions the RigRunner? I'll bet there's no mention of the RigRunner in any of the flight manuals either :-)

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N3IYU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 02:21:32 AM »

You know, if I really cared about having comments like yours posted, I wouldn't have put the question there in the first place!

73!

Mike/N3IYU
KI4BDS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 01:32:01 AM »

I am totally unschooled about rigrunners also but learning.I dont know why some guys are always like this. I guess they came out of the womb, totally educated,and an IQ of 180. (It's possible).I'm average Joe,I'm a farm and ranch boy,and an A & P Mechanic.I live in Va and we've been told to stay off 1 repeater as these guys claim they've been on it a long time so it's theirs. Go figure. Karl KI4BDS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: