The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a IC-208 into a Toyota Matrix  (Read 1096 times)
KB1JSW

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2004, 12:58:12 AM »

Hi,
 Hi,
I just picked up an IC-208 to install in my Toyota Matrix. I'm going to install it into the Glove box, and use the removable faceplate to get it closer to me (not that its to far anyway).
My question is, the radio manual says, attach directly to Battery and a buddy (not a Ham, but a Mechanic) recommended that I tie into the fuse box so I don't run into a problem with the rig being left on and killing the battery.
That said, which way should I go, and how would I get to the battery.
I currently have a Diamond att mounted already that I've been using with my HT for the past year, so that's not an issue.
Any suggestions would be great, I'm not a big mechanic so I'm worried.lol

--Rick - KB1JSW
  Outside of Boston
KC2IXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 10:51:47 AM »

If you WANT to switch it with the ignition, go to Radio Shack, or your local auto parts store, and buy a relay!  Have the relay coil energized by some switched fuse in the fuse box, and run the + 12 power lead for the rig through the relay to the battery - don't forget to FUSE your power lead.  With a LITTLE creative thinking (aka, a single pole, dual throw swtich), you could rig it up that the relay is either constant on (therefore the rig is on) OR ignition controlled

Me?  I like being able to run my rigs on without turning the car (truck actually) on.  If your parked at an A-thon, or working out of the truck, it's nice.  Then again, to prevent battey problems, I put in a dual battery system <g>
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 11:04:09 AM »

The standby current draw of a 208 is small, about 200 mils. Even if you left it on for 2 or 3 days, you wouldn't have a problem if you battery is up to snuff.

Forget what the mechanic told you, and wire it direct to the battery. Remember to fuse BOTH leads at the battery to protect the cable from shorts.

Alan, KØBG

VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:12:45 AM »

Most modern rigs have an automatic power off (APO) function.  Enable it on the IC208 and even if you forget to shut it off the rig will do it for you after an hour or two.  I'm a firm believer that wiring directly to the battery is still the best way of powering a radio.
AB2MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 07:30:41 PM »

Charlie's idea is dead on if you're paranoid about current drain while the radio is off.  Use a relay.  Mine's wired direct to the battery with fuses at both ends (battery and radio), but I plan on putting in a relay sometime soon.  For me it's a matter of aesthetics and being able to shut everything off with the ignition key.

In fact, I don't know why more radio manufacturers don't incorporate this feature into their radios.  The cellphone kit I installed in my car has a wire that you hook up to the accessory plug (cigarette lighter).  When you turn the keyswitch off, the cellphone can switch off itself too.  Or, you can have it switch off in 15-60 minutes, depending on the menu setting.
KC8YOH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 11:33:32 PM »

Hey Rick!

I have an '04 Vibe, and was curious if you have any pics of your final install that I could check out some how.  I am getting ready to install an Icom IC-207H and I am trying to gather all the ideas I can get to get the best, functional install I can do.  We both know the lack of space in this car for "extras".  ;-)

Thanks in advance for your input!

73 -- Vern KC8YOH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: