The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown Victoria and RFI  (Read 1317 times)
KC8ERP

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:29:05 AM »

Has anybody had any luck reducing or eliminating RFI on a Crown Vic?  I had a 98 and now a 03 and there is s-9 noise on any band that the antenna is resonant on (Hightest on 20m).  The noise chages pitch/intensity with RPM.  I sounds like a clicking sound (I think its most likely from the COP ignition or the injectors).  This is on the 4.6L V-8.  I have seen some mixed results in this forum for this engine involving split beads, some say they worked, some say they didn't.  I think the first thing I will try is 3M copper shielding tape around the COP units unless somebody tells me different.  TNX es 73 de KC8ERP - Jesse
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 12:30:56 PM »

Noise abatement is a multi-fronted war, and no one solution is a cure-all. Beads on the COP unit's harness, and 3M 1181 tape are about your only hope.

On my web site under Noise ID, are some recordings of the various noises which might help you in IDing them.

One thing you will want to do, regardless of mileage is to replace the spark plugs. Just because they rate them at 100,000 miles doesn't mean too much when it comes to RFI.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

KC8ERP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:59:58 PM »

Thanks for the info, I have checked out your site and thats where I got the ideas for the beads and the tape.  I don't think replacing the plugs is going to solve anything because the car only has 16000 miles on it and the problem has been there since it had 8 miles on it hihi.  Thanks again. KC8ERP- Jesse
N2HBX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 07:33:48 AM »

Crown Vics and Mercury Marquis are notorious for fuel pump noise. I had a Vic that generated fuel pump noise all the way into the 800 MHz band.

Here's a quick way to check: turn the ignition to the "ON" position without starting the car. If the noise starts up, it's the fuel pump. You should be able to find info on the web to combat the pump noise (I never bothered; it was a company car).

Larry, N2HBX
KC8ERP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 07:50:10 AM »

Yep, been there done that with the fuel pump, it is less than s-1, petty sure its the COPs an/or injectors
KC9GJC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 10:45:06 AM »

Did you disconnect the antenna and run the car?  If the noise persists with the antenna disconnected, noise supression techniques on the power leads will probably help.  Something else to try is using grounding straps to electrcally bond the metal parts together and to the frame.
KC8ERP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »

Yep, with no antenna there is no noise.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 07:54:14 AM »

We do Crown Vic installs for public safety.  Even Ford admits that they can't fix all the noise problems.  Mostly we see alternator whine.  Customers have tried different brands of radios and different installation companies (Ugh) and still have to live with the problem in some of their squad cars.  I believe it went away after the 2003 models.

Terry, WØFM
WJ4VA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 09:36:23 AM »

Don't think it went away, mine is an 03 and a freind has an 04 Marauder and has noise as well. Ford hasnt made any real changes to the electronics since 97 when they went to COP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: