The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Stick set scres  (Read 1265 times)
N4LF

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:13:08 AM »

I've just started mobiling with an IC706 and ham sticks for 17, 20 and 40m.  I'm having great fun, but the set screws in the ham sticks keep coming loose and falling out.  I've tightened them as much as possible with the little jewelers' screw driver.  Can anyone provide some advice on other techniques to keep the set screws tight?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:47:26 AM »

(1) Replace them with hex socket screws
(2) Put a little LocTite on the threads. There are several "strengths" of LocTite, so make sure you get the "weakest" one.

Lon
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 04:45:57 PM »

Loctite 222 would be appropriate for up to #10 or so screws, then 242 then 262 for really big bolts. 271 (IIRC), the wicking grade, is as strong or stronger than 242 (if memory serves), so don't use it either.

There is also cylindrical part lockers (260 etc?) which are used for permanent dowell pins, ball bearing races and the like -- these can be REALLY strong, not what you want in this case.

All will release w/ heat (~400°F as I recall).

If your local auto parts or hardware store doesn't have the 222 try www.mcmaster.com or www.mscdirect.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 06:12:24 AM »

Once you tune the antenna where you want it, remove the whip. You'll easily see where the set screw marked the whip. File a small flat, about 10% to 15% of the diameter and replace the whip making sure the set screw mates with the flat. This will aid in holding the whip firmly. The use of locktite works, but you have to be careful not to use too much. The stuff can act like an insulator. I agree with the allen head screw idea as you can get the set screws much tighter.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 06:06:43 AM »

I replaced the two #6 set-screws in my Hamsticks with a single #6 thumbscrew (purchased at my local ACE hardware store).  This makes it easy to ensure the screw is tight, plus it makes it easy to pop off the whip if you need to break down the antenna or tune it for a different part of the band.  I mark the whips with a permanent black marker for different parts of the band (particular necessary on 40 meters).  I also use a shorter whip that I can easily put on my 20-meter Hamstick so I can also operate on 17 meters with just a change of the whip.  Not as efficient as a 17 meter hamstick, since the antenna is a little shorter, but works well for me.

Phil - AD5X
N4LF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 06:29:32 PM »

Thanks to all who provided such great tips.  I've used a couple that seem to really do the job.

Seeya on the bands

Lex
N4LF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: